Thread: New A/C compressor clutch doesn't engage

1. Top | #1
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    04-24-2017 @ 02:34 AM
    Thanks

New A/C compressor clutch doesn't engage

Hey guys, I just got a new compressor installed in my '04 Chevy Classic 2.2 ecotec, and when I press the cabin air button to start the a/c, the clutch doesn't engage. I just checked the voltage at the a/c power connector and it shows nothing. I'm concerned because this means I can't test whether the system is working or not. So my question is this: Is there some kind of safety switch somewhere in the system for this car that prevents the clutch from engaging in a low pressure situation? I'll be checking the fuses next and hopefully someone will have some info for me.

2. Top | #2
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    10-19-2017 @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    Could be that the system does not have enough of a charge to get the compressor to start. In other words, yes. If the system charge is too low or too high it is not directed to turn on. In the case of too high it will turn on, but shut off soon after.

If you are using the cans from the auto parts store to charge then just try to put more in. It takes more than you think and longer than you feel that it should take. Once the compressor starts it is time to get it up to around 1,500rpm(or a little more, but not 2k). Then you can get a full charge in. Remember it must be 55F or more outside to do this.
    There is a way to bypass this and it is the low pressure sensor. Not sure how to do that because I never have. Read that it could be unsafe for the compressor.
    More humans=more problems
    Don't worry nothing will be done until it's too late, there is money to be made.
    Maximum profit and overpopulation will ruin all the major economies.

3. Top | #3
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip, I tested the clutch with a battery and some clip leads while the car was off, so now I know that it *should* work when the system is filled. I'm going to have a local shop pressure test the system and then fill it, just so I'll know if it's still leaking...shouldn't be, but no harm in testing it right? especially since this is my first a/c repair.

4. Top | #4
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Really you should have pumped it down with a vacuum pump. That clears everything out(moisture and air) and if it holds vacuum for 20min then the system should be free of leaks(not always so). As a poor man I've done repairs and not done that and everything was fine. Not the best idea, but you can only do what you can afford sometimes.
    You could just have the shop do it and have them put in the proper amount of oil and charge it. That would cost a lot though.
    Don't worry nothing will be done until it's too late, there is money to be made.

5. Top | #5
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Believe it or not that's exactly what I did, I did the compressor replacement myself, but all the evacuating and testing and refilling I had done at a shop. heh

6. Top | #6
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok then, sounds like you had it all under control. So it's working just fine now?