Thread: Oil leak whis might be my rear main seal

1. Top | #1
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    10-11-2017 @ 01:36 AM
    Thanks

Thumbs down Oil leak whis might be my rear main seal

Im new guys and I have a 2004 Saturn Ion Ecotec 2.2 with the AF23 automatic transmission and 208,000 hard miles. I have been adding oil to my car regularly and thought it was my oil pressure switch/sensor but soon after my starter failed and I replaced the starter and notice the oil leak was coming out where the the starter mounts to the block. I believe its the rear main seal leaking because as you can see in the picture the oil is on the bell housing inside the transmission. The oil leak is coming out of where the starter appendix goes.

In what order do the components have to be removed from the car in order to gain access to the rear main seal?

Does anyone have torque specs for the torque converter/fly wheel and transmission bell house? Where can I find all the torque specs?

has anyone ever done this job before? any tips or ticks?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ddemier7; 11-21-2016 at 12:40 AM.

2. Top | #2
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    10-11-2017 @ 01:36 AM
    Thanks
    No ideas yet? Is this page active?

3. Top | #3
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    This site has just a very small number of members left. Most just check in every now and then. The only help I can give is to try and find a factory service manual. Haynes/Chiltons manuals cover torque specs, but are more of an overview of repairs. They are somewhat low cost though.

Saturn's are close to other GM's. Not everything is the same if you are thinking about a swap. Just little stuff, but they can be a pain.

For just the basic stuff that I do the Haynes covers those. So I can give you the torque specs, just not much more than that. My slow typing leaves me only able to do short posts.

Flywheel bolts are opposite treaded. Most bolts on these engines are torque to yield. Best to replace them if possible.

Just to be sure: I've got only basic info. The guys with the best info have moved on to other cars.
    Last edited by nogo04cav; 10-11-2017 at 07:27 PM.