Thread: Rough cold idle, rough idle (a/c on).

1. Top | #1
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    05-01-2016 @ 12:36 AM
    Thanks

Rough cold idle, rough idle (a/c on).

Hey everybody. I am experiencing an idle issue with my 2003 Chevy Cavalier 2.2l EcoTec. Vehicle has 219,000 miles on it and has ran great up until about a month ago when I started to get a rough idle when I would cold start the car. The best way to describe the issue is that the rmp needle would drop a few hundred rpm for a very brief moment before returning to normal. This will happen several times before completely subsiding at operating temp. I can repeat the issue while idling at operating temp when I engage the a/c compressor. The car almost stalls at times and the lights dim slightly when this occurs. One CEL code "P0420". No loss of power although car seems to shudder forward sometimes when pressing on the gas after idling. Here's a vid to show what is happening, thanks for the help!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WOv2vXeKc4Q

2. Top | #2
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    12-27-2017 @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    http://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

You are over due for an O2 anyway with that many miles. Clean the idle air control valve and its port. That should be the cause of the idle problem. Take the valve out and spray the end of it with carb cleaner. Wipe off as much grime as you can, keep doing that until it is clean. Then spray out the port(the intake tube will need to be off), clean out the throttle body too.
    Keep in mind as the link says the exhaust system could be clogged or blocked. This would also cause an idle problem. Cleaning off the IAC and it's port is a cheap and easy way to try and fix the problem(it should be done every now and then to avoid trouble). Engines with high miles tend to have a lot of blow by which clogs up the IAC port.
    More humans=more problems
    Don't worry nothing will be done until it's too late, there is money to be made.
    Maximum profit and overpopulation will ruin all the major economies.

3. Top | #3
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the speedy reply! Well I failed to mention that I already cleaned the IAC valve and throttle body. This only worked for a week then the problem returned. I have a feeling it might be bad, is there a way that I can test this before going out and purchasing one?

4. Top | #4
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Only way is to disconnect it(at the connector), start the engine and see if the idle goes up. Reconnect and see if it is normal. Still it has had a long life and may be tired.
    Don't worry nothing will be done until it's too late, there is money to be made.

5. Top | #5
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I agree. Probably time for a replacement. I'll do both 02 sensors and IAC valve. I'll let you know how it goes.

6. Top | #6
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Hope you come back with good news.