Thread: rattle at start up

1. Top | #1
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    03-14-2016 @ 10:06 PM
    Thanks

rattle at start up

I just purchased a 08 Pontiac G5 and did an oil change today. It has 122k miles.I don't remember before the oil change but I seem to hear a rattle for a few seconds after start up now. I used the recommended oil weight, its at the full mark, and I used a fram oil filter.

Ive read it could be the tensioner ? My question is.. if I get a new tensioner do I need to remove the valve cover, remove the old tensioner and make sure the guts don't fall out of it, install the new one in the compressed position, then hit it to make it get tension or.. can I leave the valve cover on and just swap them out ? ive read its been done both ways and want to ask the experts.

Also.. being that my engine has 122k miles do I need to get a new timing chain kit and replace everything ? Thank you for any help !

2. Top | #2
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    03-03-2017 @ 03:06 PM
    Thanks
    The only safe way to do this is remove the valve cover and activate the new tensioner by using a long large screwdriver and the heel of your hand to give it a good thump. You will hear it activate or click. I know I've read about people just putting it in and depending on the chain looseness to jerk the guide and cause it to activate. That is a very risky way to do it and I also read where one or two people had their chain jump and ruin the valves. It is best to do it by the book.

The nice thing about removing the valve cover is that you get to change the spark plug tube seals(and of course the valve cover gasket)..... and assuming they have not already started to leak, you are heading off a potential issue. Get the AC Delco tensioner (latest version). You can shop EBay or Amazon or others to get the best price, but avoid the off-brands, because many of those are still the old troublesome tensioner.

Even at 122,000 miles, it is difficult to predict when the chain (more likely a guide) will fail. What I will say is, after you change the tensioner, if you still hear any noise/rattle, replace the chain and guides.

At 144,000 I replaced the tensioner on my 2.2 and it quieted it down for about 4 months. Then one day, four months later, it got noisy and immediately jumped and destroyed the valves. The plastic fixed guide broke apart and the chain jumped timing. Attempts to start the engine finished it off and all 16 valves were bent. I can only guess that when I had the initial rattle, the guide must have developed some cracks, although I did find one of the guide bolts at the bottom of the timing cover so it is hard to say what failed first.

3. Top | #3
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    03-14-2016 @ 10:06 PM
    Thanks
    Well... I purchased a new tensioner and installed it. The engine rattled like crazy. I decided to go ahead and take everything apart. I checked the chain, tensioner, and guides, and I finally figured out the new tensioner was not activated causing the chain to stay loose. I took the tensioner back and I'm gonna get a new timing kit and install it tomorrow and hopefully will fix everything. Thank you for all the info..

4. Top | #4
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    03-03-2017 @ 03:06 PM
    Thanks
    Well... I purchased a new tensioner and installed it. The engine rattled like crazy. I decided to go ahead and take everything apart. I checked the chain, tensioner, and guides, and I finally figured out the new tensioner was not activated causing the chain to stay loose. I took the tensioner back and I'm gonna get a new timing kit and install it tomorrow and hopefully will fix everything. Thank you for all the info..
    dpmeeks Quoted Post
    Smart move IMHO. Good luck with the project.

5. Top | #5
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    06-26-2016 @ 12:02 AM
    Thanks

timing chain tensioner 2.2

Since you changed your timing set did the start up rattle go awy? I changed mine and still have that 2 sec cold start up rattle its been suggested its due to the delayed oil flow to the top of the engine thanks .....chris

6. Top | #6
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I think on my next oil change im gona use synthetic 5w30 or 5w20 with a high $$$ oil filter and see if that helps id love to figure out what the noise is

7. Top | #7
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    well i put syn
    5w30 and a qt of syn lucas in as well and still have the start up rattle any 1 have any suggestions?

8. Top | #8
    Last Online
    02-10-2017 @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks
    I installed mine activated, no problems

9. Top | #9
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    brett85p do u still have the start up rattle?

10. Top | #10
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Is there any proper way of installing the tensioner? we primed it b4 installation keep in mind i replaced the whole set guides oiler chain ext.ext. and it still has that 2 sec cold start rattle im starting to think its oil pressure related than tensioner related any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated

11. Top | #11
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The car is a 2002 olds alero 2.2 ecotec thanks CG

12. Top | #12
    Last Online
    02-10-2017 @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks
    brett85p do u still have the start up rattle?
    guitarguy7881 Quoted Post
    No rattle, chain is tight!
    I did replace the chain and guides as well, the chain was horribly stretched after 120k miles