Thread: Timing Chain Failure - Any warning signs?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    02-10-2017 @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks

Timing Chain Failure - Any warning signs?

So I keep reading about failed timing chains and I see a few engine cores for sale in CL with slipped timing chains and it has got me worried!

My engine was pulled from a junkyard Cavalier with 120k miles and other than an oil change I have not touched the internals and it has around 24 hours of racing on it. Pretty much wide open throttle between 4500 and 6000 rpm.

My question is is there any warning to a timing chain failing? Noise etc? Can I tell by looking at the amount of slop in the chain without removing it or should I just change the thing and be done with it?

Cheers
    Brett

2. Top | #2
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    11-03-2015 @ 04:05 PM
    Thanks
    So I keep reading about failed timing chains and I see a few engine cores for sale in CL with slipped timing chains and it has got me worried!

My engine was pulled from a junkyard Cavalier with 120k miles and other than an oil change I have not touched the internals and it has around 24 hours of racing on it. Pretty much wide open throttle between 4500 and 6000 rpm.

My question is is there any warning to a timing chain failing? Noise etc? Can I tell by looking at the amount of slop in the chain without removing it or should I just change the thing and be done with it?

Cheers
    Brett
    Brett85p Quoted Post
    I am not a racer so I can't comment on high RMS continous use but for regular passenger duty use on highways where the RPM seldom exceeds 3,000 you can do a couple of easy checks to predict the condition of a timing belt or chain.

1) Open the top cover if possible and do a visual inspection of the belt or chain by manually rotating the crankshaft pulley. Check for frayed or missing teeth. For chains check for warped or scratched links and looseness.

2) for a more complete inspection you will need to remove the whole front cover to get access to belt or chain tensioners to see the condition.

3) If you are unsure of the condition and don't want to risk it or the mileage is high enough just replace it and be done with.

3. Top | #3
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    12-27-2017 @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    I'm with #3, don't take a chance Brett. Just glad this topic is about checking and not some bad news.
    More humans=more problems
    Don't worry nothing will be done until it's too late, there is money to be made.
    Maximum profit and overpopulation will ruin all the major economies.

4. Top | #4
    Last Online
    02-10-2017 @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks
    I'm with #3, don't take a chance Brett. Just glad this topic is about checking and not some bad news.
    nogo04cav Quoted Post
    It's likely to be a winter project now which gets me thinking about deleting the balance shafts and replacing the water pump while I am in there.
    Fortunately being RWD the front of the engine is very accessible.

5. Top | #5
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    12-27-2017 @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    Count yourself lucky. When mine needs it the car is going to the shop. Wish I could get to it easy as the Wizard has a nice ported big valve head for sale.
    More humans=more problems
    Don't worry nothing will be done until it's too late, there is money to be made.
    Maximum profit and overpopulation will ruin all the major economies.