Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compound Boost

1. Top | #13
    Senior Citizen Member
    Last Online
    05-30-2016 @ 04:30 PM
    Thanks
    2nd the gen 3. The 300+ HP is well within the TVS's bounds. If you started with that, got that running first; then you could get your other stuff in order while still having your low end power goal met. Just a thought.

Are you hoping to do the tuning for this setup yourself or have a shop do it? That is the most important part of this whole operation.

2. Top | #14
    Last Online
    05-04-2017 @ 01:44 AM
    Thanks
    Are you hoping to do the tuning for this setup yourself or have a shop do it? That is the most important part of this whole operation.
    Sparkey Quoted Post
    Hoping to do what I can myself. However an AWD dyno will probably mean some driving. Maybe I can find somebody with an engine dyno.

3. Top | #15
    Last Online
    Thanks
    So far the tuning is possible, but I'm reading up to fill in some mystery areas. I'm unsure about 3 things:

1) 2.2 or 2.4 displacement possibilities, and if so
    2) VVT tuneability and value
    3) Injection systems

I'm still going to try starting with a whole Saab 2.0t but heads and injection are the big questions right now. VVT would be cool but I don't see it as easy, nor boring or finding a bigger block when the 2.0 should do, but who knows. Ideal compression ratio is another question.

4. Top | #16
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    01-14-2018 @ 09:12 AM
    Thanks
    1. There is no replacement for displacement. If you plan on keeping redline around 7,000ish RPMs then go with the 2.4. The 2.0L(LSJ/LK9) is a 86mm bore and 86mm stroke. The 2.2L(L61) is 86mm bore and 94mm stroke. The 2.4L(LE5) is a 88mm bore and 98mm stroke. With a set of ductile iron aftermarket cylinders you could use any block to make a 2.4L. The stock cylinders are weak enough that I would not recommend trying to put a bunch of power to them if you did take a few millimeters of material off of them.

2. My personal preference is not to run VVT. Easier to setup, tune, and run.

3. If you are building your own intake manifold then I think a dual fuel system would be a good thing to look into. Use the stock injector location to run larger injectors with 90+ Octane fuel and put in another set in the intake manifold to run alcohol. Have the 2nd set turn on at a preset boost level. This is something that I would love to figure out how to make it work with the LSJ intake manifold so I can run OTTP's 1900 TVS blower.

I am not a fan of lowering compression for boost. But with how much boost you would be running with twin charging I would stay with the LSJ/LK9 stock cr of 9.5:1. It would make tuning alittle easier without hurting too much power.

L61/TVS - 3.1", LS1 tb, RD Fabs header, 63#, HPT

5. Top | #17
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for laying it out so simply. I'm looking for more than dual fuel lol. Meth injection is what I'm thinking, but I'd love to run alky or nitrous as well. The supercharger intake is gonna be a pain to fit if I don't hack it up or put the motor further forward, which I don't wanna do, but I think trying to mate it to the Saab heads is worthwhile. Additional injector locations will be tough, but I hope to do it.

Hypothetically, though, VVT and Saab heads? Impossible?

6. Top | #18
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    01-14-2018 @ 09:12 AM
    Thanks
    I don't think there would be enough room in the cam gear area of the Saab head to fit the VVT cam gears, but I haven't heard of anyone attempting to convert a non VVT head to VVT. As far as I can see the L61, LSJ/LK9, and LE5 heads all have the same specs with the only main differences are that the L61 and LE5 are lost foam cast(weaker casting method) and the LE5 has VVT.

Ecotecs are like SBCs. Almost everything is interchangeable.

My current plan is to run direct port water/meth under the LSJ intake manifold. It has been done successfully before.

L61/TVS - 3.1", LS1 tb, RD Fabs header, 63#, HPT

7. Top | #19
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Now I know the VVT thing goes off the table here, but how much midrange hp and fuel economy would I lose if I went to a blow-thru carb setup? I could use the meth injection to assist. Tuning would be hard still, but perhaps easier than buying megasquirt. Can I use something like a black box to program spark still and keep it at that?

It would still leave the twincharge bypass issue, along with intake design, jetting, etc. but it's an idea. I'm guessing the Quad4Rods intake would be maybe usable in this scenario?
    Last edited by assquatch20; 08-29-2016 at 07:07 PM.

8. Top | #20
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Okay that last question seems like too much fab work versus tuning. I am wondering if anybody does a standalone where you can swap fuel tables on the fly for variable power, or even something that integrates a boost controller as well?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12