Thread: 2005 Cavalier, 2.2 Ecotec, P0172 code

1. Top | #1
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    04-27-2015 @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks

2005 Cavalier, 2.2 Ecotec, P0172 code

Hello,

I recently just replaced the upstream O2 sensor in my Cavalier. Since then, it has been throwing the P0172 System Too Rich Bank 1 code. Everywhere else I look on the internet, people seem to be having problems with their cars running too rough or stalling, whereas my car has not been having these troubles at all. The only weird thing it does is start idling a little higher when the code is stored, but I can make it idle normally again when I clear the code. I can then drive it normally for another hour or so. I've checked for vacuum leaks, but I haven't found anything. I have yet to check the plugs, but I'm going to do that pretty soon. The freeze frame I got for the code is:

Fuel status - 0 byte
    Engine load - 60%
    Engine Coolant - 186.6 fahrenheit
    Fuel trim Bank 1 short term - 6.25%
    Fuel trim Bank 1 long term - 1.56%
    Intake manifold pressure - 8.7 psi (17.7 Hg)
    Engine RPM - 1,356 rpm
    Speed (OBD) - 5.59 mph
    Timing Advance - 21.5 degrees
    Intake air temp - 80.6 fahrenheit
    Throttle position (manifold) - 18.43%

Any suggestions?

2. Top | #2
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    12-27-2017 @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    You could try some Sea Foam in the tank. Could be a clogged or stuck injector. If the cleaner doesn't work you may have to replace the injector.
    More humans=more problems
    Don't worry nothing will be done until it's too late, there is money to be made.
    Maximum profit and overpopulation will ruin all the major economies.

3. Top | #3
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I've heard bad things about Seafoam before. Would Techron work?

4. Top | #4
    Senior Citizen Member
    Last Online
    05-30-2016 @ 04:30 PM
    Thanks
    None of those readings in your freeze frame are raising any flags. Fuel trims look good, I don't have a good log on hand right now to verify the map reading but it looks to be in the right ball park at a glance. What brand of O2 did you install? Sometimes these cars can be picky about things like that. Also, considering you did replace the O2 and this problem surfaced, I would try removing the O2 sensor and reinstalling and making certain you get a good seal and don't have a small exhaust leak at the O2. That could cause false readings and trip codes.

Lastly, whoever told you bad things about SeaFoam was talking out their ass. It is a good cleaning agent to use in the oil system, fuel system, and the intake system. I have never heard of it causing troubles. I have seen it trip codes when induced to the vacuum system but it is only during the treatment. When done, reset code and good to go.

5. Top | #5
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Lastly, whoever told you bad things about SeaFoam was talking out their ass. It is a good cleaning agent to use in the oil system, fuel system, and the intake system. I have never heard of it causing troubles. I have seen it trip codes when induced to the vacuum system but it is only during the treatment. When done, reset code and good to go.
    Sparkey Quoted Post
    Ha ha. Well okay then. I went ahead and bought some SeaFoam at the auto parts store today. I think I may have already solved the problem though. I read on another forum that it can help to disconnect the battery for an extended period to help reset some stuff. I went ahead and did that last night, and the code hasn't been triggered again. I wonder if just driving it yesterday helped to clear those injectors out, or if disconnecting the battery actually helped. I'll put the SeaFoam in when I fill up again, which should be pretty soon. Thanks for the advice!