Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fiero swap

1. Top | #1
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    10-20-2014 @ 10:08 PM
    Thanks

fiero swap

I've decided to start researching what I need for a ecotec swap. I have a 84 4sd fiero with a seized 2.5 duke I decided ecotec was the way to go because it's lighter than the 3800sc and cheaper. The problem is that it's not a common swap and few people who have started the swap have finished the stumbing block seems to be the ecm and overcomplicating it to the point they get burned out. The fiero forum doesn't have much so I came here after reading some old threads that had completed Fiero swaps

I want to keep it simple at first, keeping the 4spd and a ecotec with no mods. Once its running I'll build another ecotec to swap in with a turbo.

First thing I need to know is what ecotec I'm looking for, I'm guessing I want to stay away a vvt engine. After reading up it appears I want a 2.2 or a 2.4 with a 2.2 head?

Second thing is the ecm, I like the idea of a microsquirt, I have future projects I'd like to use it on and really want to learn to use it.

2. Top | #2
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    01-17-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Thanks
    I've decided to start researching what I need for a ecotec swap. I have a 84 4sd fiero with a seized 2.5 duke I decided ecotec was the way to go because it's lighter than the 3800sc and cheaper. The problem is that it's not a common swap and few people who have started the swap have finished the stumbing block seems to be the ecm and overcomplicating it to the point they get burned out. The fiero forum doesn't have much so I came here after reading some old threads that had completed Fiero swaps
    JMBIshop Quoted Post
    Two members of this forum that I know have done Ecotec-swapped Fiero's are matthud and EcotecFiero. They may be of some assistance.

I want to keep it simple at first, keeping the 4spd and a ecotec with no mods. Once its running I'll build another ecotec to swap in with a turbo.
    JMBIshop Quoted Post
    Will the Fiero 4-speed bolt up to the Ecotec?

First thing I need to know is what ecotec I'm looking for, I'm guessing I want to stay away a vvt engine. After reading up it appears I want a 2.2 or a 2.4 with a 2.2 head?
    JMBIshop Quoted Post
    The easiest place to start would probably be an '03-'05 L61 (2.2L). You won't have to deal with VVT or Drive-By-Wire. There are plenty of parts available for this engine, too.

Second thing is the ecm, I like the idea of a microsquirt, I have future projects I'd like to use it on and really want to learn to use it.
    JMBIshop Quoted Post
    The Microsquirt should work fairly well. You can run two (2-point) coil-packs off a 3800 V6 in wasted-spark mode and run the injectors in batch-fire. Microsquirt should also be able to read the 7x crank wheel, too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fallen2603 For This Useful Post:

JMBIshop (08-28-2014)

4. Top | #3
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The 4spd should bolt up, Not sure about the clutch, flywheel and pressure plate but it shouldn't be to much of a challenge to find the right combo. Keeping the 4spd keeps me from having to mess with axles and if I do rubber mounts will simplify the trans mounts. The some of the 4spds in the 84s had a taller final drive for better economy but I haven't identified the gears in my 4 spd yet.

5. Top | #4
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Also a concern but not a deciding factor in any way is the muffler. I hate droning while cruising. I have a 2001 ram with a 5.2l, It had a flow master on it when I got it that was horrible, at highway speeds the droning was miserable and you had to turn the stereo up to loud to be able to listen to music. I was skeptical but replaced the flow master with a 12" long cherry bomb muffler and amazingly it worked, no drone whatsoever. its loud when you get on it or downshift but cruising at highway speeds you can barely hear the exhaust. I could care less about how loud a muffler is, I just want it to comfortable on the highway.

6. Top | #5
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    12-27-2017 @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    I've had a Flowmaster, Magnaflow and a quiet flow.
    Between the three I like the Magnaflow the best. Not too loud and has good flow. That was on a V6 though.
    The Quiet flow on an Eco is more or less a stock sound.
    Flowmaster: Good sound(V6 again), nice flow and too loud overall. Lets just say everyone knew when I was going to work. LOL and some were late if I was sick.

Check out EcotecFiero's sig, he is the swap king.
    More humans=more problems
    Don't worry nothing will be done until it's too late, there is money to be made.
    Maximum profit and overpopulation will ruin all the major economies.

7. Top | #6
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    01-17-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Thanks
    I prefer the sound of Magnaflow for an Ecotec. Get all the right components (catalytic converter, resonator, and muffler), and it will sound pretty.

8. Top | #7
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    On my v8 swap I went into a 3" flowmaster clone single chamber, then split it into 2 2.5"x24" cherry bombs. It actually had a pretty nice sound for a sbc. I may end up with the same kind of craziness if it's to obnoxious.

9. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-02-2017 @ 11:02 AM
    Thanks
    The 2.2 l61 is very easy to run stand alone. you can find the entire system, new built harness, ecu relay set on fleabay for $5-600 .
    the 2.4 systems are more because of the extra wiring for 4 coils, vvt, electric throttle , etc. Approx $8-1000. Steve
    Last edited by EFIHARNESS; 08-29-2014 at 12:12 AM.

10. Top | #9
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    Thanks
    If you have the room, not much there for a crazy set up on a Fiero!
    Don't worry nothing will be done until it's too late, there is money to be made.

11. Top | #10
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    If I did it with a sbc I can do it with a ecotec. If I feel like I need the exra length I can run it over the trans the way the crossover for the v6 does and route everthing the way stock was.

Edit: here is a example I pulled off the web of what looks like exhaust for a cadilac northstar(dohc 4.6l v8) plumbed the way the stock v6 exhaust was. The cat is at the front of the engine, the muffler at the rear. I count about 6 places for a cat or muffler.

I love the northstar but the size of it, challenge of the ecm, lack of good ones just laying around and expense of rebuilding one make it not worth doing right now. The initial purchase of the ecotec could be sub $300 which is cheaper than the megasquirt.
    Last edited by JMBIshop; 08-29-2014 at 09:49 AM.

12. Top | #11
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Sounds like a plan! Time for me to throw a wrench into the cogs. What about a header? I just bought a DC Sports header for my Cavy Eco. It bolts up to the stock down pipe.

13. Top | #12
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The dc sports header would be good, I'd probably cut of the flange and angle it the way I want it to go, but we'll see. I might run whatever is stock until I decide to turbo it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast