Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ecotec swap into RWD Celica

1. Top | #25
    Last Online
    02-10-2017 @ 03:56 PM
    Thanks
    Some more progress on the swap.

I went with a bell housing to trans spacer cutout by Izzys Custom cages http://izzyscustomcages.com/
    Real nice job without being too expensive using plasma cutter, 1/4 inch steel (it's what he had on hand, Aluminum would have been better but I didn't want to wait). They have the template now so if anyone wants to go this route give Izzy's a call.

Clearance achieved

I ordered an Energy Suspension rear trans mount as I had nothing at all with the trans. I'm sure I can make something work with this:

I found these "1959-1963 American Motors American Motor and Transmission Mounts" for $5 each that should work ok as engine mounts. If they do I'm buying a few more as spares

2. Top | #26
    Senior Citizen Member
    Last Online
    12-27-2017 @ 12:11 AM
    Thanks
    Lookin good
    83 chevy s10, l61 swap,colorado trans swap, full exhaust, cai, bagged and bodydropped,kyb monotube shocks, 4 wheel disc brakes, 4 link, zq8 sway bars front and rear,poly bushing through whole chassie

3. Top | #27
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Lookin good
    bagged83dime Quoted Post
    Cheers!

I had a good read of your build thread and a couple of others and found that I need to tilt the engine over 10 degrees, that caused some problems with the factory exhaust (on the L61) so I am going to go with the turbo exhaust manifold to get it running.

Found a great deal on standalone wiring harness and ECM flash for $250 from Phil's Bug Shack in Ky. I have not tried it out yet but was impressed with the quick turn around on this.

Clearance with stock L61 exhaust manifold

With the Turbo Manifold from the Saab engine

Also got the trans mount finished, I had to cut a bit out of the stock Celica mount so over compensated a little with some reinforcing

Next up engine mounts, exhaust, radiator, wiring etc etc...
    Last edited by Brett85p; 12-23-2014 at 11:31 AM.

4. Top | #28
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Some more progress on the engine mounts
    Tacked in place

Removed cross member for better access

Back in the car

5. Top | #29
    Last Online
    01-09-2018 @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    Very nice. I do enjoy your progress pictures. Just a reminder, I do have sitting in the cabinet a "large" Saab turbo and manifold if you would like a spare.
    71 TR6
    Best Therapy
    Cobalt Ecotec LSJ, GM Stage 2, Camero T5
    GoodParts CV Axle/Hub, Nissan R200 LSD 4.08 Ratio
    http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm

6. Top | #30
    Senior Citizen Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I would like that spare
    83 chevy s10, l61 swap,colorado trans swap, full exhaust, cai, bagged and bodydropped,kyb monotube shocks, 4 wheel disc brakes, 4 link, zq8 sway bars front and rear,poly bushing through whole chassie

7. Top | #31
    Senior Citizen Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Also u said you were gonna set it over 10 degrees, not a bad idea and i know they came with some tilt but i did mine strait up, iv got about 50,000 on mine and it has not possed any problems... just saying if its a better fit strait up i cant see it hurting

8. Top | #32
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Also u said you were gonna set it over 10 degrees, not a bad idea and i know they came with some tilt but i did mine strait up, iv got about 50,000 on mine and it has not possed any problems... just saying if its a better fit strait up i cant see it hurting
    bagged83dime Quoted Post
    I am going with the 10 degrees tilt, it gave some clearance for the intake on the steering box but does make the exhaust a little tight. The concern with racing this is that we do get some long sweeping corners and oil starvation is the enemy! I'm working with the theory that the stock tilt is ideal for the oil pan and pick up.

9. Top | #33
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    01-17-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Thanks
    The oil pick-up is in the very center of the lowest part of the pan, and it even has a baffle over it to prevent starvation. I can't see how tiliting the engine one direction or another would cause oil starvation issues, even in sweeping turns.

You should be able to see what I mean after you enlarge the picture in this link: http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...or-Ecotec.aspx

I'm under the impression that most Ecotec engines are tilted for fitment, or to facilitate the draining of oil since the tilt all Ecotec engines come from the factory with would aid draining oil out of the oil pan plug. I have no proof, but I can't really find any other logical reasons why they are all tilted towards the exhaust side of the engine.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fallen2603 For This Useful Post:

Brett85p (01-14-2015)

11. Top | #34
    Last Online
    Thanks
    To tilt or not to tilt was a huge issue for me when I did my install. There was one guy who was doing a 2.4 ecotec in his TR6 the same time I was and told me it was critical to tilt the engine or suffer damage but would not tell me why. I called a bunch of ecotec builders and no one said to tilt it. One told me there was no reason other to fit the slope of the sheet metal that dictated the tilt. Another told me that the engine would run upside down with a dry-sump. All the sand rails, hot rods, and big HP drag cars are straight up and down. The guys at Quad 4 Rod also said there is no problem with the engine straight up. I’m good..

BTW, that turbo can be had for $250 plus shipping. Heck, I don't need it........
    71 TR6
    Best Therapy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trick6 For This Useful Post:

Brett85p (01-14-2015)

13. Top | #35
    Last Online
    Thanks
    This is very good information, thank you both!
    For now I will stick with the 10 degrees as I have made the engine and trans mounts but it will be easy enough to add some spacers and put it back to straight up if I need clearance on the exhaust side for a big turbo

Next steps are Radiator, Fuel pump and connections and exhaust.

btw I brought a Hurst shifter for the colorado trans http://www.core-shifters.com/servlet...shifter/Detail and am very impressed with it alot more like shifting a T56 than the old W58 Toyota trans

14. Top | #36
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The tilt does make for a complete oil change drain. I am thinking of pulling the pan and putting a drain plug right at the bottom.
    71 TR6
    Best Therapy

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast