Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: L61 RWD Swap using 2003 Vue engine.

1. Top | #1
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    10-21-2014 @ 04:21 PM
    Thanks

L61 RWD Swap using 2003 Vue engine.

I have a '03 Saturn Vue with a bad Vti rubberband tranny. I was thinking of doing a rwd conversion swap with this setup. The more I look the more questions I have.

1. It has a electronic throttle body (fly by wire)
    2. Electric power steering.
    3. VTi transmission, junk but will that being the original transmission cause big problems?

A. If I use a manual transmission I will not have to worry about a TV cable with a late GM 4 sp automatic transmission.
    B. Can I swap the throttle body to a non electronic to run TV cable (Throttle Valve Cable) used on 200r4 and up till "E" transmissions.
    C. Is the electric assist steering stuff going to be a problem?

I sure hate to just junk it. Vti replacement is more than it is worth. I thought I had it all figured out(southern boy). But a lot of these questions have shown up... Help. I did liked the Vue a lot. Wife has a v6 Equinox now.

I would be putting it into my Chev Luv Truck. I all ready have a v8 luv. This was going to be my kinder, gentler, easier truck. I love my v8, but it is old school.

The plan was to use the ECM and wiring. Everything I could strip out of the Vue.
    Last edited by PapaG; 07-16-2014 at 02:26 AM.

2. Top | #2
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    01-17-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Thanks
    You can run a cable throttle-body, but you might need an adapter between the intake-manifold and the throttle-body. Also, you'll probably have to run a different ECU as your ECU will want the electronic throttle-body. Go "standalone" or use an older ECU and wiring harness.

You can use the electric steering stuff, but it'll mostly depend on your firewall clearance. You might have to cut the firewall to make it fit, or you won't run that set-up if cutting the firewall is a "no-go" for you. Custom Built Motors (CBM) makes a power-steering swap kit that uses 4th-gen F-body power-steering pumps.

3. Top | #3
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I think I read in a different thread about a swap of a vue engine and it said this person might need to change a cam out between the two engines because of the electronic steering assist. Me the wise old gentleman that I am goes "holy shit Batman" I do not have another cam much less another engine. I am so screwed. 6 beers and a couple of shots of Jose quero I says to my self...
    Self why don't I just ask.

I do not need to use thle power assist steering. I know I can get the harnesses and ecm modified..Stuff removed. I am not sure if the. Manual. Transmission was what I wanted. (/flame suit on) I was thinking of using a 200r4 transmission (flame suited off)
    Trying 'to ask first then I can jump in head first. I hope I. Am a little better prepared to ask the right questions.
    Last edited by PapaG; 07-17-2014 at 02:19 AM.

4. Top | #4
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Uh...I hope this means that my answers were helpful to you. If you have any more questions after drinking some beer and Jose, just put 'em up here. LOL!

5. Top | #5
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Well a 460le from a v6 s10 or camrao seem to be the trasnsmission to use unless I use a manual transmission. A guy on the s10 forum did a l61 swap several years ago with a manual transmission but most likely was a early engine. He modified the factory harness. I wanted to use a auto trany because my wife does not like a manual transmission much any more. She could use it as a backup if my Cherokee was gone or down the nice guy that I am. I would like the manual okay. I guess I am a little more worried about the vti as the original transmission and what problem that may cause. Did I say I hated that transmission? Not the idea or the operation of just that Saturn made a POS.
    The 460le seem to be the least expensive that I find. Back at ya now. LOL
    Last edited by PapaG; 07-21-2014 at 01:13 AM.

6. Top | #6
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The only adapter that I know of to bolt an automatic transmission to an Ecotec is one for a 200-4R.
    http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Old%27s%20Alero.htm

From the pictures, it looks like the adapter will bolt up to a 700-R4 or 4L60E, but they don't mention anything about a 700-R4 or 4L60E. That place might be able to set up a package that would work for you. You'll either need to wire a 4L60E into the PCM, or get a "standalone" controller for it since it's an electronically controlled transmission. The 700-R4 or 200-4R would probably be easier to deal with since they have no electronic controls.

If you want to go manual, Quads 4 Rods makes a great bellhousing that will bolt to GM-style T5's or TKO transmissions. You could use a Solstice/Sky AR5 manual transmission, but the gear ratios are weird. The Quads 4 Rods bellhousing is about half the cost of the 200-4R adapter.

7. Top | #7
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quad4rods also makes a auto adapter for what they prefer called the small 200r4. TV cable is the problem with the 200r4 and the 700r4 with out a throttle body connection. I haven't been able to find a stand alone control for any E transmission just converter lock up controll .

8. Top | #8
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Just adapt a different throttle-body, maybe an LS1 75mm throttle-body with provisions for TV-cable.

Here are some 4L60E "standalone" controllers:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-66501
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-120001

9. Top | #9
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Wow You found some. I will have to look into the LS1 throttle body. I wonder how much bigger it is? Not size wise, but can it be too big?
    You the man~~~

10. Top | #10
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I have found several different throttle body sizes for a 2.2 depending which one may be right.

52mm IIRC.
    58mm bore
    swapped mine for a 62mm ported w/ no issues.

Ford V6 run from 60mm to 70mm. 3.0l to 4.0l. They use a 4 bolt pattern like the l61

A lot would make a difference on the bolt spacing on the TB's

11. Top | #11
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The LS1 throttle-body is 75mm, stock. With some tuning, it should wake up your engine a little bit. You could use this adapter:
    http://store.custombuiltmotors.com/e...d-adapter.html

I'm assuming since your engine has a DBW, that it has the square bolt pattern. If it doesn't, you could probably just find a cable-driven L61 throttle-body off an automatic transmission car. I'm a manual transmission guy, so I'll admit that my knowledge of the automatic transmission equipment is lacking in comparison.

12. Top | #12
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Square bolt pattern. Yes DBW. Manual may be the way to go. The S10 discussion has a lot of info. Seems like cost would be about the same. I am not sure what they meant on the S10 thread where the guy said he had the dealer flash it(ecm) to a manual transmission? You just take them the ecm and they do something to it? I thought it took the whole car. Little do I know.
    Last edited by PapaG; 07-22-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast