Thread: E37 Stand Alone Issues

1. Top | #1
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    12-26-2015 @ 11:39 PM
    Thanks

E37 Stand Alone Issues

I am not sure if I have a bad ECM or a missing wire. The situation is this: I am using a bench harness and trying to write a file to an E37 from an 08 Pontiac Solstice. I plan to use the ECM to manage an LE5 in a stand alone installation. Using HP Tuners I can unlock the ECM, read it, and set the VATS one and two to disable. When I attempt to write the file it all goes smoothly except the final portion. The program stops with the display "...will be completed in 34sec". There it sits. I've tried it a few times with different files from the ECM, same result. I have double checked my connections, nothing seems out of the ordinary. My bench harness is a complete engine harness without any of the engine sensors plugged into a motor. I redid the harness to eliminate the transmission portion and added a connector bringing over all the engine specific leads. I used a pin out diagram and cross checked it with a second source. Anybody have any ideas? I am trying to avoid using my tuning credits on a futile cause. Thanks

2. Top | #2
    Senior Citizen Member
    Last Online
    05-30-2016 @ 04:30 PM
    Thanks
    You might want to try the HPTuners forum. They could probably help better.

3. Top | #3
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Good suggestion, but I think it is a hardware issue and not the software. I was hoping to find someone who was running an LE5 in a stand alone configuration with the E37 ECM. It doesn't seem to be widely used. The E67 seems to be the ECM of choice. I suspect that the VATS can be disabled, but the ECM must be mated with its BCM pair when it is done. Then once disabled the BCM can be removed from the equation and the E37 will stand and run alone. Anyway, I decided to move on to the E67 option. I may get back to the E37 sometime in the future it is an interesting problem.

4. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-02-2017 @ 11:02 AM
    Thanks
    THe e37is easy to use stand alone. you don't need to do anything with the bcm to make it work. Just turn off the vats. We do at least one of these a day
    Questions? give me a call, Steve 909 910 3867

5. Top | #5
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Problem solved, it was operator error. I couldn't see the forest for the trees, essentially the text that appears at the bottom of the dialogue box is the last act of the program. It simply states how the elapsed time it has taken to complete the requested action. I was attempting to use the "write cal" program to disable the VATS when it so clearly states that a "write entire" command is required. Once, with the help of HP Tuners' tech support, I corrected my self inflicted mistake, I was able to reset the VATS and now my E37 should be ready to start the LE5.