Thread: Stand Alone Engine O2 Sensor

1. Top | #1
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    12-26-2015 @ 11:39 PM
    Thanks

Stand Alone Engine O2 Sensor

What is the second O2 (downstream) sensor good for in stand alone applications? I am configuring a 2.2 engine from a 2004 Cav for a stand alone application similar to a Baja or sand rail. It seems that for this type of application the second sensor is eliminated. What trade-offs are made when this is done? Does the PCM need to be reprogrammed? In a street application would it help MPG to keep it?

2. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-02-2017 @ 11:02 AM
    Thanks
    The after cats O2 sensor is not used in your app, as you don't have a cat canister. it needs to be turned off in the cal so it won't throw a fault code.

3. Top | #3
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    12-26-2015 @ 11:39 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info, I realize changing the fault reporting will essentially keep the PCM from reporting a status problem for that sensor; however, are there any more tuning changes to perhaps fuel mixture ratios that should be made? Will the engine run too rich without the second sensor? The reason I ask, is that it is my understanding that the PCM runs a short lean to rich to lean fuel cycle to test the effectiveness of the catalytic converter with the second O2 sensor. With it gone, will it keep running that test cycle looking for a reply or does that test cycle just happen at start-up? In an off-road application it probably does not matter, but in a street application, I wonder if it would impact MPG much?

4. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-02-2017 @ 11:02 AM
    Thanks
    No other tuning is required.