Thread: 2005 Chevy Classic Timing chain replacement help

1. Top | #1
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    06-06-2014 @ 05:40 PM
    Thanks

2005 Chevy Classic Timing chain replacement help

I am new to these forums. I am hoping to get help to get my wifes car back on the road. It is a 2005 Chevy Classic 2.2L Ecotec. I am going to be posting my process as I go. This is going to be a semi DIY on the replacement.

So to start off, her car ran fine, no problems. The one morning it didn't start. It cranked but sounded like no compression. After doing a compression test, the cylinders ranged from 15-30psi. Figured it might have jumped timing since there was spark and the pulleys were spinning. Off came the valve cover. The chain had a lot of slack. Here it what I found so far....

This took about 2-2.5hrs off and on working slowly.

-Remove wiring harness to the coil pack

-Loosen/remove throttle cable linkage bracket to valve cover. Remove the cables from the bracket

-Remove [4] 10mm bolt securing coil pack to the valve cover

-Remove breather hose from valve cover to intake. I just removed all of the intake plumbing.

-Remove [4] spark plugs using 5/8" deep socket and extension (not necessary)

-Loosen [14] 10mm valve cover bolts. Pull the valve cover off. The bolts do not come off of the cover

-Jack front passenger side up and place on jack stand. Remove passenger front wheel

-Remove inner fender liner. There are [don't remember how many, I will update ] 10mm bolts. Uses a flat head screw driver / pliers to remove the plastic push bolts holding the liner in place. Carefully remove the liner so it does not crack

Liner removed

-Soak Crankshaft pulley bolt with PB blaster if necessary. Mine had some rust and was not coming off

-Remove the serpentine belt. You will need a Serpentine Belt Tool, or a skinny ratchet

-Remove 21mm Crankshaft pulley bolt using impact gun (I used the Harbor Fright Chicago Electric impact). Pull on the crankshaft pulley, it should come right off

-Remove 15mm bolt for serpentine belt tensioner with open box wrench

-Remove 4 short 10mm bolts for water pump cover

-Remove 10 long 10mm bolts for timing cover

-Remove 1 long 1/2" bolt for timing cover

This is a picture of the cover already off

-Use flat head screw driver to gently pry apart the cover from the block. I started from to topside next to the firewall

So here is what I found....cracked guide in three places

Off by a few teeth

And the chain slop...

So, not I am at the crossroads and not sure which way to go....

...Do I just replace the one guide or do I replace all the guides, tensioners and chains? Where is the best place to get a kit? Do you guys think there is going to be valve damage? How much does a valve job typically cost and what are some alternative options I can do if there are some bent valves?

I appreciate any info and help you guys and gals may have. Thanks!

2. Top | #2
    Where's the beef?
    Last Online
    01-23-2017 @ 11:47 PM
    Thanks
    If it skipped time, your valves kissed the pistons.

Also once it lines up, and the engine is rotated, it doesn't line up again for thousands of revolutions.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cheesecake; 01-12-2014 at 07:59 PM.

3. Top | #3
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    06-06-2014 @ 05:40 PM
    Thanks
    Alright I received my timing and balance chain kits & a water pump from RockAuto. Crank bolt from the dealer. I am planning to start in on this tonight or tomorrow.

Now...to start the job, I need to rotate the engine until cyl # 1 is TDC, right? (Cylinder closest to the chain) Then remove the tensioners, then remove the chain, change out the sprockets, install new guides place the chain on...that sound about right?

When I do remove the chain, at that point I will adjust the cam sprockets separately to where they need to be. Is that correct?

The same process will be done on the balance chain. Is there anything specific I need with changing the water pump or is that straight forward?

Anything else I need to know or am missing?

4. Top | #4
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    06-27-2016 @ 10:39 PM
    Thanks

ecotec 2.2

i have problem mines is at tdc but crankshaft wont turn over anymore past that 10:00 position