Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The time has come, Tinks L61/TVS engine build. Stage 1. Collecting parts.

1. Top | #1
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    07-09-2017 @ 07:06 AM
    Thanks

The time has come, Tinks L61/TVS engine build. Stage 1. Collecting parts.

Yea i know i dont post much on here, but that is mainly because i really havent been doing much to my eco. The main focus for the past few years has been exterior and suspension. The TVS only went on because i was upset one day about being in a 3 month stalemate with the car and no progress was being made. So i tossed in the Racetronix pump and since i already had the M62 off i could not see any reason not to install the TVS. Plus The Wizard was making me jealous too. But now that those are taken care of it is time to start collecting parts.

Step 1. Set a goal.

The goal is 400whp with just the TVS. After that is met, then a 100hp shot of nitrous will be added just because.

Step 2. Acquire an engine.

I got this guy a few years ago from Jeffie. Nice low mileage L61 and i mean low mileage. I forget the exact mileage but i know there is less than 50k on this thing.

Step 3. Acquire awesome engine parts.

I picked these up last year.

Eagle forged L61 crank.

GMPP hardened oil pump gears.

And i grabbed this from the junkyard yesterday. A LK9 head. It was a PITA to pull but i finally got the car to give up the goods.

Those are the main big goodies. I also have a set of Supertech 78lb valvesprings, 3 smaller TVS pulleys, and a spare LSJ intake manifold on a shelf.

The build plan is:
    Head:
    M2Race ported LK9 head
    GMR .5mm oversized valves
    Supertech valve springs
    Custom ground cams
    Stock cam gears
    Stock machined cam followers
    Possibly stock lash adjustors(depends on the cams)

Bottom end:
    MRB sleeved Gen 1 L61 block
    Eagle forged crank
    Eagle forged rods
    Weisco forged pistons(10:1cr)
    GMPP hardened oil pump gears

Fueling:
    Racetronix W-body fuel pump(already installed)
    Aeromotive 13107 adjustable fuel pressure regulator
    The fuel lines and injectors i still am not sure about.
    Meth injector(post blower)
    93/110 octane(E85 is for hipster fggts)

Intake:
    Harrop HTV1320LSJ supercharger
    2.6" pulley. Maybe a 2.7".
    Possibly a ported intake manifold - gotta find a place to do it.
    The same 4" intake that is on there now
    LS1 TB(on the car)

I'll probably say the hell with it and run a standalone. No other stock PCMs satisfy me with their capabilities.

*Disclaimer*
    This thread will go for a few months at times without updates. I dont have the spare cash to drop $5k on everything at once. When awesome engine parts come in, then you'll get updates.
    Last edited by Tinkles; 06-28-2013 at 01:10 AM.

L61/TVS - 3.1", LS1 tb, RD Fabs header, 63#, HPT

2. Top | #2
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    07-11-2017 @ 11:27 PM
    Thanks
    Definitely going to watch this. SUBSCRIBED.

3. Top | #3
    Senior Citizen Member
    Last Online
    07-30-2016 @ 10:03 PM
    Thanks
    Really cool...very similar goals to myself...minus the nitrous!

I was reading on CSS that its a good idea to grab the LNF followers.

The lsj had both styles....I believe it was heavy duty on the exhaust side and normal ones like ours on the intake side. The LNF's iirc have the heavy duty style for both.

Contact euthanasia off CSS. He does porting and a single pass conversion for our manifolds. The price was around $400
    There is also some very good head porters on that site as well that do work for a very decent price.

4. Top | #4
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    11-13-2014 @ 08:30 AM
    Thanks
    Glad to see the ball is really rolling on this now!

I know we've talked at length on MS3, but I've been reading up on Micro Squirt v3, and it seems it has pretty much the same capability and support as the full blown ms3 at a fraction of the price (those more familiar with MS please correct me if I'm wrong). Seems the main difference is micro cant handle numerous low impedance injectors, which for us is obviously not an issue.
    I know its geared towards motor craft sports, but it seems to be used in alot of hot rod builds successfully. Might be worth looking into. Km weighing this against the p12 swap, and I think micro squirt would be easier to setup and comparable to purchasing everything needed for a p12 swap.

KGM Ringleader

'04 Cavalier coupe - LK9 swapped and supercharged - PARTING OUT!
    '04 Cavalier sedan - Daily Driver Tank
    '12 Hyundai Elantra - Wifey's Daily
    '78 Corvette - New Project - Restomod in progress!

5. Top | #5
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I was reading on CSS that its a good idea to grab the LNF followers.

The lsj had both styles....I believe it was heavy duty on the exhaust side and normal ones like ours on the intake side. The LNF's iirc have the heavy duty style for both.
    cavfiredesire
    I do have these sitting on a shelf(a full set). The stock L61s are on the right. I got these out of a junkyard 2.2 eco(LAP i believe, but it has been awhile).

And i just got a very good laugh off of CSS.net while searching for a pic of the LNF followers.
    The poster claims that these are cryo-treated BATES Engineering Rockers.

They look EXACTLY like the set i pulled out of a junkyard engine and the LNF followers. So either i got extremely lucky and scored an awesome deal or another Cobalt owner got suckered. Or i am completely missing a huge point that makes those followers worth the $1000 price tag that they probably have.

Contact euthanasia off CSS. He does porting and a single pass conversion for our manifolds. The price was around $400
    There is also some very good head porters on that site as well that do work for a very decent price.
    cavfiredesire
    I'll keep him in mind.

Evilution
    More like a slow putt from 30yrds away....

I know we've talked at length on MS3, but I've been reading up on Micro Squirt v3, and it seems it has pretty much the same capability and support as the full blown ms3 at a fraction of the price (those more familiar with MS please correct me if I'm wrong). Seems the main difference is micro cant handle numerous low impedance injectors, which for us is obviously not an issue.
    I know its geared towards motor craft sports, but it seems to be used in alot of hot rod builds successfully. Might be worth looking into. Km weighing this against the p12 swap, and I think micro squirt would be easier to setup and comparable to purchasing everything needed for a p12 swap.
    Evilution
    Im still probably a year or so away from needing to worry about getting the engine running, so we have time to find the perfect tuning solution.

6. Top | #6
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Oh yeah, definitely have time to make the right choice, just throwing options your way. The AEM EMS might be a good option for you as well (another route I've considered)..waiting to see how it works out for SweetnessGT

KGM Ringleader

7. Top | #7
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:45 PM
    Thanks
    So you took the passenger seat out and set the engine on the floor pan? Works for me!
    More humans=more problems
    Don't worry nothing will be done until it's too late, there is money to be made.
    Maximum profit and overpopulation will ruin all the major economies.

8. Top | #8
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The l61 oil pan seats right into the floor pan. Its like gm planned then to be transported that way

KGM Ringleader

9. Top | #9
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:45 PM
    Thanks
    LOL that is great to know!
    More humans=more problems
    Don't worry nothing will be done until it's too late, there is money to be made.
    Maximum profit and overpopulation will ruin all the major economies.

10. Top | #10
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    07-11-2017 @ 11:27 PM
    Thanks

Evilution Quoted Post
    MicroSquirt also only has two ignition outputs. You can still run two two-point coils in waste-spark mode, or you could go to something like a Ford EDIS system with a reluctor-wheel. The EcoteCamaro will probably go MicroSquirt with two two-point coils in waste-spark mode, but to each their own.

11. Top | #11
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Small update. I finally brought my spare L61 down to my house from my parents house. Sometime i'll tear it down, but i am not in a hurry since i still have parts to buy.

Speaking of buying parts. These little guys showed up on my doorstep yesterday.

I wasnt planning on picking up a set this soon, but i found a deal on ebay where the seller was almost giving them away.

12. Top | #12
    EF Premium Member
    Last Online
    03-01-2015 @ 02:50 AM
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrazyFoo328
    All that stuff looks awesome man! When do you think you will have it built and running? Hopefully by spring next year lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast