Thread: Broken timing chain guide bolt repair.

1. Top | #1
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    07-27-2013 @ 03:12 PM
    Thanks

Broken timing chain guide bolt repair.

For many of you who have run across the upper shoulder bolt on the front fixed timing chain guide, this fix is for you!
    I designed a repair part for this originally for the 2.2 Ecotec engine. This also works on the 2.0 liter Ecotec engines. It works on both the turbo-charged as well as the super-charged engines such as the Chevy cobalt and others and also works on the Saab 9-3 and the Opel/Vauxhall Ecotecs.

It takes only a minute to install and saves a lot of time, money and headaches having to remove the head, drill out, tap and attempt a helicoil insert. My part eliminates the shoulder bolt and the threaded access plug. It holds the guide tightly in perfect alignment and wont break like the weak and break-prone original GM part.

For information on this you can call me at 612-810-3461 (cell) or 651-340-7531 (home) or email inquiries also welcome. E-mail address is mbrandt1952@yahoo.com

This part is designed and made by Americans in the "good old USA. Thanks for looking and Happy New Year to all!

Mike Brandt
    Pictures available on request

2. Top | #2
    Where's the beef?
    Last Online
    01-23-2017 @ 11:47 PM
    Thanks
    Are you a supporting vendor here?

3. Top | #3
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Are you a supporting vendor here?
    blackbirdracing Quoted Post
    Thanks for your concern. I am just an old motorhead with a part I designed to make my life easier while working on Ecotec engines. After working on many of these engines I came up with this part and it works so well, I decided to let others who have come across this problem, that there is an easier way to permanently repair this and save time and headaches.
    When the word starts getting out about my part, I will be able to have these made up in larger quantities to lower the price per piece fro the machine shop that makes these for me and finally start making some money to put food on the table. When that happens, I will certainly become a supporting member like you and many others on this site.

Again, I'm just an old motorhead with an idea and a dream.

4. Top | #4
    Where's the beef?
    Last Online
    Thanks
    And the owner of this forum is just a young motor head paying cash from his own pocket to run run this forum.

So before you try to make money off the hard earned dollars of this young motor head you may want to contact him.

5. Top | #5
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    And the owner of this forum is just a young motor head paying cash from his own pocket to run run this forum.

So before you try to make money off the hard earned dollars of this young motor head you may want to contact him.
    blackbirdracing Quoted Post
    I have sold enough of these to nearly pay back the machine shop that makes them for me. So how much will this cost me to let people on this forum know that I have come up with a great fix for this common problem? I have never in my life tried to take advantage of or cheat anyone and am not about to start now. Are you a supporting vendor? If so, how much will it cost me to use this forum to let people know about my repair part?
    I am a 60 year old who had to start a new life after being screwed out of my 30+ year retirement from a Major telecom company.

I have applied for a patent on this on the advise of people who have used my part....the government wants their tribute paid in advance...what a dream crasher. Patent lawyers want their cut too. I tried contacting you once or twice before and was going to send one to you to try out but got no response whatsoever. This is a great forum and I enjoy all the good information it provides to all who use it. I used this forum to let car enthusiasts know how easy this can be to repair and to spread the word about it. Hey, you gotta start somewhere and there are many bumps and potholes in the road of life.
    I saw your car...Nice! Nice times too! Had an old 63 1/2 Ford Galaxy I built with a 427 side-oiler. Never quite got it down into the 11's like your car. But it was fun tryin'.

6. Top | #6
    Where's the beef?
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm not the forum police here...

As far as a common problem, I am a member on here, cobatss.net,Jbody.org, solstice forum, hhrfamily.net, kappa performance.com. all of which are ecotec based forums. I have never heard of a single failure of this bolt.

My 350+HP cavalier, my 300+HP GXP solstice, and my 100% stock HHR.

No issues yet.

Perhaps this is caused by improper maintenance, or extended oil change intervals?

7. Top | #7
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Just because nobody talks about it on some forums doen't mean it doesn't happen. It breaks or loosens from timing chain slap as the chain stretches or the tensioner starts to fail. It will either snap the bolt off or loosen and rip out the threaded mounting hole in the head. I fixed a Cobalt SC last week
    with a snapped mounting bolt after I installed a timing chain kit in it. It only had 81,000 miles on it and the oil was regularly changed and motor was as clean as a whistle. As these cars get older, the problem will be showing up on a more frequent basis. I sent one to a fella in texas and one to canada 2 weeks ago. Both were Cobalts..one turbo the other Super-charged neither had more than 110K. I personally think that the 2.0L is prone to the same timing chain issues as the 2.2L. Thanks

8. Top | #8
    Where's the beef?
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Good to know...

I luckily have 130k on the original timing set on my HHR. Regular oil changes are a must for me...

GXP has 52k

Cavalier has maybe 10k on the timing set.

9. Top | #9
    Administrator
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: L61Turbo
    He is not an authorized vendor. If you wish to be please contact me.
    And thank you Travis

Jarrod Class - Owner/Administrator of ECOTECForum
    Like us on Facebook or Follow Us on Twitter
    My build Thread