Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My ongoing J-Body Ecotec project.

1. Top | #1
    Super Moderator
    Last Online
    10-06-2016 @ 01:52 AM
    Thanks

My ongoing J-Body Ecotec project.

I told a couple of people I would do this a long time ago, so here's a start finally. As others have done, I will continually add to this and try to put as much information in the thread as possible.

I purchased the car, a 2003 LS Sport 5-speed, in June of 05' with 25K miles on it. I had always been an SBC guy, but wanted something newer that would be comfortable, give exceptional mileage, have cargo room for trips, and still be somewhat fun despite the FWD four pot layout. Bone stock in 100*F humid Kansas heat it would run consistent 16.0s at around 87 mph with 2.3x 60s on Kumho MXs. Keep in mind this is a relatively heavy car as it is equipped with power everything, sunroof, factory amplified stereo, cruise control, etc. After a couple of simple bolt-ons including a RK Sport 4-2-1 header and RK Sport (Magnaflow) 2.25" exhaust, K&N Typhoon WAI, upgraded powertrain mounts (4), and Amsoil fluids I was knocking on the 14 second door in the same weather conditions while still running the stock tune. I purchased and installed the GMPP M62 supercharger kit in November of 06' (32K miles on the car at that point) along with the GM reflash, Bonneville pump (still alive and well), and $100 Cobra He from EBay. My times immediately dropped over a second, and I was still able to pull down over 40mpg on road trips once I installed the 18" wheels with requisite low profile (read, low rolling resistance) hoops. It has been daily driven through all seasons, road tripped all over the country (Texas multiple times, Kentucky three times, Tennessee once, Illinois, Nebraska, Colorado twice, Arkansas and all over Missourri multiple times) and currently has about 91K miles on the clock. I have constantly been playing with it, modifying for experimentation and purpose, and have been collecting parts for a rebuild as soon as I get my GTA ready for daily whippings or it blows up. It amazes me on a daily basis that the stock long block L61 has put up to this many years and miles of abuse, excesive combustion chamber temperatures and pressures, and gallons upon gallons of methanol being force fed through it. It is also worth mentioning that the F23 has not had a single hitch, although I did install a Spec Stg.2+ clutch in late 07', and the fluid (Amsoil synthetic ATF) looked just like new the two times I have changed it since then.

Feel free to make comments, ask questions, and make suggestions at will. Thanks for looking, and I hope I may have provided inspiration, or at least got your gears turning about something interesting.

Pictures to come.
    Last edited by thewizard; 04-06-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Nothing is difficult; some things just take more time.
    TAKE TO EXTREMES AND DOMINATE!

2. Top | #2
    Super Moderator
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I don't have too many older pictures of the car. This is from 09' sometime. The springs at that point were an Eibach Pro Kit, the wheels are OZ Racing 18x7" with 225/40-18 Kumho ASXs. The rear hubs have been spaced out .5"/side with AL hub spacers I made a long time ago; those along with the different offset on the wheels helped fill out the typical wheelwell gaps all around. Hood is VIS Invader carbon fiber with hood pins. The fender badges are GM pieces which I believe they began installing on almost all models in 05'.

Admiral Jedi and I at the LSX Shootout in Memphis, 2009.

From late 08'. Still basically the same to this day, with only minor changes.

Dual pass goodies from 08'. My How To: http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/sh...-To&highlight=.

Most current engine picture. Largest changes include: Dual methanol nozzles (7gph between TB and blower, 2.5gph in AL spacer plate under blower), Pacesetter LSJ header, LS1 TB, adjustable tensioner, relocated PCM to interior, 2.9" pulley, LZM upper mount, phenolic IM spacer, 3" handmade SS exhaust, etc.

Last edited by thewizard; 04-07-2012 at 01:06 AM.

3. Top | #3
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:45 PM
    Thanks
    I think I've seen this car before.

4. Top | #4
    Super Moderator
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes you have, and I still owe you a ride.

5. Top | #5
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:45 PM
    Thanks
    You sure do. Been waiting a long time.

6. Top | #6
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    12-01-2014 @ 02:28 AM
    Thanks
    That's a clean overall car. Engine bay looks great.. That air filter though.. size of that thing lol.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to spalattero For This Useful Post:

thewizard (04-06-2012)

8. Top | #7
    Super Moderator
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the compliment; I never cared too much about the looks, but fortunately to have everything functioning on the level I ask of it things work themselves out and clutter is mostly avoided.

Over the years I tried all three of the popular aftermarket upper mounts, and found the LZM to be my favorite. The mount in the picture was one of his original production units that was bending the upper plate; I upgraded a long time ago to the revised piece along with the red bushings with revised durometers. The dogbone is a bushed LZM unit as well. For the trans mounts I used the poly bushings with holes in them, and make slightly oversize "pins" from Delrin to fill the holes and reduce movement/sagging. The vibrations are too intense for most adults, but I don't mind them, and to say the powertrain is positively connected to the chassis is an understatement as the car is very responsive to my inputs and generates excellent feedback.

Last edited by thewizard; 04-06-2012 at 01:46 PM.

9. Top | #8
    Official Forum Whore Array scorpio1's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-12-2014 @ 05:52 AM
    East Missoula, Montana, United States, 109253392427710, East Missoula, Montana
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: bigcavidaddy01
    Popping in to say, love the car, always have!
    http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1037&dateline=1180516081

10. The Following User Says Thank You to scorpio1 For This Useful Post:

thewizard (04-06-2012)

11. Top | #9
    EF Premium Member
    Last Online
    03-01-2015 @ 02:50 AM
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrazyFoo328
    It about time you made a decent thread about your car, its been years lol Keep us updated.

12. Top | #10
    Super Moderator
    Last Online
    Thanks
    This is one of the first upgrade items I installed on the car in 05'. I recall the header costing me over $400 from RK Sport even that long ago. It always worked well, and I had no issues with the gaskets sealing for the nearly five years it was on the car. The only downside, as a few of the members on here have found, is that a header of this design is a pain in the ass to install and/or remove relative to other renditions. The cat is a Magnflow high flow unit. The exhaust, as I mentioned in the opening post, was the Magnaflow 2.25" catback system sold through RK Sport. All in all the system worked very well for cruising and low to midrange torque, but it didn't have the high RPM flow I would be needing in the future.

I upgraded to this unit, the Pacesetter LSJ piece, in mid 2010. I mistakenly ripped a hole in it while removing the nameplate they spot weld on the primary tube, but after getting that welded up and an EGT bung installed in each primary and one in the collector, I wrapped it with Thermo-Tecs newest copper header wrap secured with SS clamps.

A also had the ball flange cut off, had a Vibrant 3" V-band clamp welded to it with 12" DP for the drive to the exhaust shop, and coated it with Thermo-Tecs proprietary coating.

Last edited by thewizard; 04-06-2012 at 03:43 PM.

13. Top | #11
    Official Forum Whore Array scorpio1's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-12-2014 @ 05:52 AM
    East Missoula, Montana, United States, 109253392427710, East Missoula, Montana
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: bigcavidaddy01
    Beautiful header^. Think I may od some similar stuff to the pacesetter I got sitting here begging for paint or coating, no coating places local will do exhaust parts so, wrap may be in my future.
    http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1037&dateline=1180516081

14. Top | #12
    Administrator
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: ecocav04 Wii Code: ecocav04
    ahhhh... SKEET SKEET SKEET

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cheesecake For This Useful Post:

thewizard (04-07-2012)

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast