Thread: How to: 2001 Camaro SS seats swap to 2004 Cavalier (direct swap)

1. Top | #1
    EF Premium Member
    Last Online
    02-26-2016 @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks

How to: 2001 Camaro SS seats swap to 2004 Cavalier (direct swap)

Well the pictures dont do it justice (as they were taken on an iPhone and the driver done side at night), but I finally picked up a good deal on some 2001 Camaro SS black leather seats for my Cavalier and installed them the same day (today).

Firstly, the install is 2/10 on a scale (1 easy, 10 hard). The only reason its a 2 is because the driver side can be a slight PITA if you cant get to the bolts and there is wiring for the seat belt dash light.

Pros: looks way better, slightly lower/narrower than cav seats, leather, direct bolt on, stiffer ride but feels good in corners/good lumbar. Ebony leather matches the gray cavalier interior perfectly.
    Cons: not nearly as much 'cushion' or padding, stiffer ride quality (more sporty than comfort), leather can be easier to ruin than fabric and cold/hot temps will affect it too (fabric doesnt get cold/hot).

Only modification is to swap the rails, bolt patterns are identical. You will also have to figure out how to customize your seat belt guides. Im just going to cut a slit in the top of each and slide the belt in, similar to how the Cavys already are.

I made a quick/sloppy how to just incase someone wants to do it, but you can figure it out on your own if you know how to turn a wrench/socket. The Camaro seats didnt come with rails, so I didnt have to remove anything from those.

Tools required: 1/2 socket (1/2 deep socket if you have it for driver front bolt), 6in extension (optional), socket wrench, and I used a wratchet wrench (closed end), this sped things up IMMENSELY!

Time to completion: < 1 hour (if you vacuum and tinker with things like i do, maybe 2 hours)

1. Unbolt the 4 1/2 nuts holding the seats down, lift seats out.
    1.a - driver side has a wire coming from the floor to the seat belt for the belt warning when youre not buckled up, you have to unclip this. Its clipped into the center crossmember under the seat.
    2. using the same 1/2 socket/wratcheting wrench, remove the 4 1/2 bolts holding the seat rails onto the bottom of the seat. (you may have to move the slider around to get better access to the bolts). The wratchet wrench is WAY easier and saves a lot of time, but you may have to use the extension to get some of these out as the wrenches dont necessarily fit (youll see why if you look at one up close).
    3. place the same corresponding seat rail (pass to pass, driver to driver), in the reverse method.
    4. be sure when putting the driver side seat back you reconnect the seat belt sensor.
    **you may want to vacuum the carpet and clean your console and other bits up before reinstalling, because you know this is the last chance for a while youll have to clean it and pick up those McDonalds fries and coins you spilled

also, if you have any questions let me know. not the best pics, but it works and its very easy and worth the upgrade.

04 2dr 5spd daily driver.
    "100,000 Sperm And You Were The Fastest?"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bLu04dd For This Useful Post:

scorpio1 (01-24-2012), Scrapz253 (01-24-2012)

3. Top | #2
    FAIL Status
    Last Online
    02-07-2014 @ 02:25 AM
    Thanks
    thank u. thread has been stickied

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrapz253 For This Useful Post:

scorpio1 (01-24-2012)

5. Top | #3
    Official Forum Whore Array scorpio1's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-12-2014 @ 05:52 AM
    East Missoula, Montana, United States, 109253392427710, East Missoula, Montana
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: bigcavidaddy01
    Thanks for posting this buddy, love the look of the camaro seats!
    http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1037&dateline=1180516081

6. Top | #4
    Finance Nazi
    Last Online
    02-03-2014 @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    Nice write up!

So kiss my ass.
    dumbho
    sorry I don't kiss trash
    NJHK

7. Top | #5
    EF Premium Member
    Last Online
    02-26-2016 @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks
    thanks guys, I think they turned out pretty nice myself!
    Definitely an upgrade, but takes some gettin' used to since they're thinner/stiffer than the thick cushion seats of a Cavalier!
    04 2dr 5spd daily driver.
    "100,000 Sperm And You Were The Fastest?"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bLu04dd For This Useful Post:

thewizard (01-25-2012)

9. Top | #6
    Super Moderator
    Last Online
    10-06-2016 @ 01:52 AM
    Thanks
    I'll have to keep an eye out for a pair of these; I'd love to have some more support for the twisties, and these seats are plentiful.

Thanks for the writeup.

Nothing is difficult; some things just take more time.
    TAKE TO EXTREMES AND DOMINATE!