Thread: low compression and misfire on cylinder 2

1. Top | #1
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    10-11-2011 @ 02:05 PM
    Thanks

low compression and misfire on cylinder 2

Hi, I am new to this forum, and have an issue I need help/advice with. I have a 2005 sunfire 2.2 ecotec and have been having a cylinder 2 misfire, but only at idle. First things I tried were replacing the plugs, checking/swapping spark plug boots/wires, swapping icm/ignition cassette with a freind's 05 sunfire, swapping injectors, checking icm and ecm connectors, and none of this changed anything. Kept having cylinder 2 misfire at idle. Runs out fine, and anything above about 1200 rpm is smooth as can be. So next thing I did was a compression check, and sure enough, cylinder 2 only has 60psi compression compared to 100ish on the rest. Engine has 200k and uses a little oil. I was considering changing the oil with RESTORE engine treatment in hopes of getting rid of the code. Any thoughts on this? Or other ideas other than tearing the engine down for a rebuild? Any input would be much appreciated

2. Top | #2
    FAIL Status
    Last Online
    02-07-2014 @ 02:25 AM
    Thanks
    dont waste ur time. just rebuild it

3. Top | #3
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    10-11-2011 @ 02:05 PM
    Thanks
    I was hoping to not get that response. lol. It's time for an oil change anyway, so I guess I'll just go ahead and do the oil change with the engine treatment anyway for the gnats ass of a chance it may seal my rings up well enough to stop the miss. If not then I'll probably be tearing the engine down once work slows down enough. The car still runs great, so surely driving it around can't make too much of a difference in the short run, right?

4. Top | #4
    Super Moderator
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:43 AM
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrazyFoo328
    IIRC compression should be up closer to 160 (obviously cant expect that because of high miles) and all the cylinders should be roughly within 10% of each other. It sounds like a rebuild is what you need. If it is driving fine then keep driving it, if it starts smoking really bad, you might want to stop. I would be interested to see if that treatment will actually bring your numbers up. Do a little write up on it for us with well documented results