Thread: How to bleed air from coolant system??

1. Top | #1
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    06-19-2011 @ 07:30 PM
    Thanks

How to bleed air from coolant system??

Well I installed the new water pump on my 2004 cavalier with a 2.2l Ecotec this weekend.. I still have a drip from the same area.... :-\ Im sort of thinking it could be from the drain plug in the back cover/housing of the pump, I need to pull the plug and put a little gasket maker on it. I had hell changing the pump, lots of fun :-) My sprocket holding tool, managed to let me drop the sprocket, and I managed to drop a bolt or two down in the timing cover too. It was alot of fun taking everything apart to fix all this and save the timing! The greatest fun, was that once I got it all put back together, I had a huge oil leak, because my crank seal was no longer good, after pulling the crank pulley, so i got to take it all apart again, and change the seal. Truthfully it was a good size job for me, but it all worked out, and if I can just finish up the few little bugs ill be happy with it, and I do enjoy working on the car because well its a great car... Anyhow, after all this my temperature gauge still floats around a bit..... Im thinking its because I never purged the air from the system, would anyone care to explain to me how to do this? I would appreciate it... Thanks alot. K.C.

2. Top | #2
    Authorized Vendor
    Last Online
    08-01-2012 @ 09:42 PM
    Thanks
    remove the rad cap, start the car, put the heat dial to hot, fan on low, run the car till the themostate opens up. Top off the system, replace cap.

3. Top | #3
    Crazy Moderator
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Thanks
    if you still have trouble idle the car with the nose higher than the rest of the car, it will help get the air out
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/Cinpro/jokercopy2.jpg

It's not what you buy,it's what you build!

4. Top | #4
    Crazy Moderator
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:14 PM
    Thanks
    oh and theres also an o-ring on the tube on the back of the pump that could be leaking on you, its hidden when its assembled but it is there
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/Cinpro/jokercopy2.jpg

It's not what you buy,it's what you build!

5. Top | #5
    Forum Participator
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks
    remove the rad cap, start the car, put the heat dial to hot, fan on low, run the car till the themostate opens up. Top off the system, replace cap.
    Take for drive, let cool overnight and check level again........
    Ed
    2005 Saturn Vue
    FWD 2.2 manual 5 speed

6. Top | #6
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The o-ring on the coolant tube?? I got a new one with the water pump, and changed it. Im thinking the drain plug is leaking but not sure yet.... its a slow leak, maybe a drip every 3-5 seconds.... I got the fan installed today, and its not to bad.. The car runs 195 running 70 mph, in traffic and anything over 70 it hits the next line on the gauge which i guess is about 200.... I just feel like it should stay at 195.... anybody got any suggestions or comments on this... or should it float around a little bit? it never gets past the first line past 195...
    Last edited by kcscott11; 06-12-2011 at 10:31 AM.

7. Top | #7
    FAIL Status
    Last Online
    02-07-2014 @ 02:25 AM
    Thanks
    did u get a 180 thermostat? if so then ur fine. it will float around a bit

8. Top | #8
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    Thanks
    it is a 180 thermostat... the car really has been running pretty cool, considering its 100 degrees outside here... few more little repairs and such and ill be happy with the car. Thanks guys. K.C.