Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Evilution's 2011 (Winning and Whining)

1. Top | #25
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    06-16-2017 @ 11:49 PM
    Thanks
    I was just about to ask what size pulley you were running. Then i remembered where my old one went.....

You are going to love the whine....

L61/TVS - 3.1", LS1 tb, RD Fabs header, 63#, HPT

2. Top | #26
    Last Online
    03-03-2015 @ 02:00 PM
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: jucnbst
    What pulley did you go with?
    Photobucket

3. Top | #27
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    11-13-2014 @ 08:30 AM
    Thanks
    3.1" pulley, 60# injectors, hp tuned

KGM Ringleader

'04 Cavalier coupe - LK9 swapped and supercharged - PARTING OUT!
    '04 Cavalier sedan - Daily Driver Tank
    '12 Hyundai Elantra - Wifey's Daily
    '78 Corvette - New Project - Restomod in progress!

4. Top | #28
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok, we got a decent amount of tuning time in tonight (and by we I mean I just drive and Ryan works his HPT magic lol). The car has some serious balls on the 3.1 pulley, I'm especially impressed on the amount of torque from a 2nd gear pull..though 1st gear is almost pointless, at 5 psi the tires were spinning.
    If I remember correctly, and I'll let Ryan chime in to verify, my IATs hung around 117ish cruising and hit a little over 140-145 on a hard pull (running close to redline). We still have some timing pulled, I think we started off on 15 degrees, but It looks like we'll be addic a few degrees back in tomorrow. Virtually no knock at all, the places where we see some it's so minimal it's barely even on the maps.
    We had to initially fool with the PE delay, the afr wasn't dropping quickly enough as I got into boost, and we want to get down there before boost. After a few runs, Ryan got everything dialed in pretty nicely...car has a very smooth transition in and out of boost, temps drop back down to the 120 range very quickly after a hard pull, and the car overall feels great. I'm excited to keep working on the tune tomorrow. There's still a funky idle after boosting, and sometimes the idle initially hands at about 1800rpm, we're assuming the computer just hasn't had a chance to relearn since we're constantly reflashing.

A few progress pics from over the last week or two, I'm not gonna post a ton, as we all know what a supercharger install looks like, lol.

Painted the head, power steering pump, etc. Note, this is a major pain in the ass to do while the motor is IN the car, especially to prep it properly...I was going to skip this since the le61 will be going in this winter, but the exterior surface had tons of oxidation and buildup from when the car was still a DD and I really wanted to get this as clean looking as possible.

I still have a bunch of random bolts/nuts I'd like to replace with SS or anodized ones just to clean things up and keep them nice looking. Mainly anything visible around the head (ps pump nuts, valve cover bolts, etc). This will happen here in there as I get around to it.

Threaded IAT sensor:

Here's the blower and tb bolted up. I still have a lot of clean up to do, the bay looks better than before, but still too messy. I'm gonna do something with the brake booster hose to hide it more, and I'd like to tuck the injector harness up under the rail more, as well as reroute some vac lines.

Temporarily mounted the catch can where the air box used to drop into the fender. I don't like it here, but I did it to save time so we could get the car running. I will be picking up the Metco oil cap adapter, then T-ing that and an AN hose from the valve cover to the can, at which point I'll relocate and mount the can. I'd like to mount it up by the radiator under the cross bar, so it's out of sight, but still easily accessible for draining. I may temporary drill a hole in the cap so the system can actually vent, as I realize now all the pcv system is doing is pushing out the VC port while boosting:

I still have a few odds and ends to address, mainly cleaning and organizing. As long as the weather nice later this week I'd like to wash down and clean the whole bay thouroughly, maybe reroute a few lines.
    Once we're done tuning, it's on to body work and paint. I'm relocating the gas filler and mooting a meth tank with the filler neck in the trunk jam, shaving the antenna, swapping in Malibu door handles, gmx side skirts, then repainting. At that point I can call the car finished, at least for the time being, lol.

More to come!
    Last edited by Evilution; 06-21-2011 at 01:30 AM.

KGM Ringleader

5. Top | #29
    Super Moderator
    Last Online
    10-06-2016 @ 01:52 AM
    Thanks
    Loving it. Once you get it dialed in I'd like to check out your tune file if you don't mind since our setups are quite similar.

You still running the stock fuel pump?

Nothing is difficult; some things just take more time.
    TAKE TO EXTREMES AND DOMINATE!

6. Top | #30
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Loving it. Once you get it dialed in I'd like to check out your tune file if you don't mind since our setups are quite similar.

You still running the stock fuel pump?
    thewizard Quoted Post
    Thanks!
    Once we're all done tuning I'll see if Ryan can send you a copy of the file. I'm on the stock pump for now, as I don't plan on goin bigger on hardware and pushing the motor too hard yet (120k mile stock motor)...but once I swap in the le5 hybrid this winter, I do plan on pushing it alot harder, so I'll be going to the Racetronix unit. I'm not sure how much I'll pulley down on the le5, it really depends on how much I can control heatsoak and IATs...I feel a TVS may be in my distant future, haha!

KGM Ringleader

7. Top | #31
    EF Premium Member
    Last Online
    03-01-2015 @ 02:50 AM
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrazyFoo328
    I wouldnt go lower than 2.8 with the heaton. TVS would be fun for sure though

8. Top | #32
    Super Moderator
    Last Online
    10-06-2016 @ 01:52 AM
    Thanks
    I can pretty much guarantee your fuel pump is living on borrowed time with the amount of fuel you're asking for; only a matter of time before she gets weak and gives up.

That would be great is he would be willing to send that file.

Nothing is difficult; some things just take more time.
    TAKE TO EXTREMES AND DOMINATE!

9. Top | #33
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    06-16-2017 @ 11:49 PM
    Thanks
    I feel a TVS may be in my distant future, haha!
    Evilution
    Hmmm, good idea. I know where one is just sitting.....

L61/TVS - 3.1", LS1 tb, RD Fabs header, 63#, HPT

10. Top | #34
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    @CrazyFoo - i'll probably stay on the 3.1 for the rest of the season til I pull the motor this winter. Once I swap in the le61 I don't see going past a 2.9, then after that my next pulley will be attached to a TVS, lol.

I'd like to replace the fuel pump sooner than later, depends how funds are. Looks like I have a starter problem now to deal with. I'm hoping it's just the trigger wire that sends power from the selonoid to the start motor, but I have a feeling something is sticking open. I went to start the car today and got nothing, acted like a 100% dead battery (battery has been moved to trunk). I checked and had good voltage at the battery and battery side of my inline breaker, no voltage on the side of the breaker that feeds the starter/fuse box/etc. I pulled the breaker and just temporarily linked the two ends together, and as soon as I connect the battery, the car starts cranking on its own. If the clutch is then pressed and the ignition turned, car fires right up and runs fine, I was hoping this would unstick the starter, but when we keyed off, it continued trying to crank. When the car is running, there is no indication of the starter staying fully engaged (ie grinding on the flywheel), I think the motor is just getting constant power from the selonoid and is spinning.
    I'm guessing either the trigger wire that sends power from the selonoid into the starter motor overheated and fused against and is constantly charging it, or the selonoid is just malfunctioning and the starter needs to be replaced.
    I also pulled the starter relay and the start would still try to crank when the battery was connected, so it seemed it was being bypassed and led me to the conclusion that the stater has to be getting a constant charge. Also pulled the clutch selector switch and verified it has continuity. I'm temporarily ruling out any other typical electrical problems since the car does start and run fine once you turn the ignition.
    Hopefully tomorrow I can limp the car into the garage and get it on some jack stands and check out the starter, but if anyone has any idea/suggestions in the meantime it'd be appreciated.

Other than that, here is the current set up, incase anyone was curious:
    Bone stock L61
    M62 with 3.1" pulley
    LS1 Throttle Body w/ Tinkle's TB adapter
    60# Siemens injectors
    Cobra h/e & stock endplate
    AEM wideband
    HPT Meatcake Tuned

I think my next set of upgrade will be a dual pass system with a ZZP S3 h/e and meth/water cooling. I'd also like to swap out my stock coolant surge tank for something a bit smaller to clean things up, as well as needing to hook up an actual resevior to the h/e system...I just used the stock cobalt filler neck for now, just to get things up and running. I'm also going to look at fabbing some intake pipe so I can move my air filter into the fender.

KGM Ringleader

11. Top | #35
    Official Forum Whore Array scorpio1's Avatar
    Last Online
    05-12-2014 @ 05:52 AM
    East Missoula, Montana, United States, 109253392427710, East Missoula, Montana
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: bigcavidaddy01
    Looking good you evil whiner. Lol
    http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1037&dateline=1180516081

12. Top | #36
    Old Dirty Dog Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok, some quick minor updates.

Got the starter swapped and problem solved. I think for peace of mind though, I'm going to rebuild the solenoid on my original unit then swap it back in. The starter I just swapped in has around 90k on it, which isnt far behind my original. Next problem we encountered was a bit more scary one, lol...
    We were out tuning, went to do a pull, and around 5500 rpm we started smelling mass amounts of fuel. I got off the highway as quick as I could, and by the time I got pulled over the car was already trying to sputter off. Popped the hood and found a ridiculous amount of fuel dumping from injector #2 and all over the manifold, blower, etc. Once everything died down and stopped boiling off we got the rail off and found that the injector got unseated from the rail so fuel was just dumping right of the fuel rail port. We swapped the stock injector clips on and that seems to have remedied it. That was Friday night, we spent the rest of the night tuning and I had the car out all weekend with no problem.

As far as tuning, we added another degree of timing back in, bringing me up to 16*. we're still playing with idle, the ls1 tb wants to throttle a bit higher, we're gonna see how much we can lower it and still have it cooperate, righ now I'm surging between 1000-1050ish. We would have tuned more since then, but Sunday i started noticing some problems boosting, hangs at about 5-6 psi, between me and Tinkles our guess is that the bypass valve is failing. I'm going to data log as soon as possible and as long as we don't find anything off in the tune, I'm putting my money on the bypass valve actuator.
    Which by the way, if anyone has a spare bpv actuator that's in known working condition, let me know. If not, I guess I'll just be ordering a zzp unit on payday.

Other than that, I lightly dug into the exterior. I gave my headlamps a long needed cut and buff, they were getting so oxidized and scratched they were barely transparent anymore:

Next step is to relocate the gas filler, shave the filler door and antenna, weld in my new door handles, pull some minor dings and dents, then start prepping for paint. I still need to fit the GMX skirts, as well as finish up my new from bumper.

Oh, and since we all love the old "built not bought" argument...

KGM Ringleader

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast