Thread: VE tuning

1. Top | #1
    6 liters of fury
    Last Online
    08-29-2013 @ 10:32 PM
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: EXOR IMADreamer PSN ID: I don't want my credit info stolen Wii Code: WEEEEEEEE

VE tuning

Contrary to popular belief VE tuning is very important on most GM cars. I'm not sure where or how the myth got started that the car only uses VE tables in the event of a MAF failure but that is flat out wrong. Under partial throttle loads and during normal driving conditions the computer uses a blend of MAF and VE values to determine fueling. MAF tuning is the easy quick way to tune and this is why many "tuners" push the idea, ie it's a quick buck. VE tuning is much more time consuming and can be complicated. Hopefully this write up will make that a little easier. A dialed in VE table will result in crisp throttle response, smooth acceleration, and better "around town" driving characteristics. You spend 99% of your time driving normally so let's turn your car into a dream drive.

In order to obtain useful data that has not had other fuel adders skewing our data set we have to set the car up to run in Open Loop mode. This means the car will not be using fuel trims to adjust fueling but will only be using MAP sensor readings and the VE tables.

The first thing you always do when tuning is back up your current tune. Do it!

Step one, using HP Tuners VCM editor go to "engine" --> Fuel control-->OL & CL.

We have three tables we are going to change here. The first is under open loop and is called "Gas (Gear)". We don't need to change the entire table, but only part of the map that effects the area we will be working. In this case this is everything above 176 degrees on the engine coolant line. All these values will be changed to 1.00. If you aren't familiar with HP tuners simply go to the space at the top, enter 1.00 and hit the equal sign after you have high lighted the cells you wish to use.

The next table wwe are going to change is "Gas (P/N)" table. Again all values above 176 need to be changed to 1.00.

The last table we need to change is the IVT gain. You will not need to change this table as low, you can make it all 1s from about 306 and up.

Next up we need to turn the MAF off. (fail the MAF). We do this because we are tuning VE tables. Lol

To do this we go to "engine diagnostics" ---> airflow ---> MAF Fail High and set that to 0.

Next we need to go to the DTCs tab right next to the current one we are working on and set the P0103 "mil on first error" this will throw a CEL and tells us we are doing things right.

Next we have to turn COT off, if you have a cat be sure to turn this back on when you are done. To turn the COT off go to "engine"--->fuel--->COT---> and set both COT adder max and COT adder min to 0.00

Now we are ready to tune! Open your scanner up and set your wideband error or fuel trims error to plot against you VE. If you are using your own config you may want to set up a filter so that a cell only records if it is hit 20 times, depending on how modified the car is since the last tune I will sometimes bump this up to 50 just to get a larger sample size. This eliminates erroneous data from the table.

Ok, by this point I assume your tune is flashed to the car and the car is on. If you don't know how to do this please refer to the HPT help file. Now go find a nice stretch of highway with preferably little traffic. Now set off driving and try to slowly vary your throttle movements. Don't make broad throttle movements and don't go WOT. The idea here is to hit as many cells in the table as possible. Basically you are going to be working under 4k RPMs because it's unlikely you would be using your VE tables over that because you are probably in PE which would use the MAF exclusively. Take your time here, get ALOT of cell hits on as many cells as you can. The more time you spend here the better your data is going to be. This may take an hour, two, five, whatever. It depends on how particularly you want to get. Ideally we would all have dynos and this would be easier, and a little quicker but we don't. If you do, let me know I'll tell you how to do it on a dyno. Lol

Now once you've populated the AFR error vs VE table go park your car, turn it off, copy and paste that table. Then open up the main VE table in HP Tuners and paste special multiply by %. It's likely you were unable to hit all the cells in that area and have holes in the table. Use your head here and go in and either manually enter the numbers in those holes by using the numbers close to them or use HPTs extropolation functions to do this for you. Just use logic here if you have a cell that's a 20% error and two cells to the left of it is 22%, chances are the cell between it will be 21%.

Once you've done done this to the best of your ability flash the new tune and go for a drive. Don't start logging yet, chances are your car heat soaked while sitting so you need to drive around for 10 minutes or so to get the temps back in check. After 10 minutes or so start logging agian. Repeat what you did before, slow throttle movements, hitting as many cells as possible. Hopefully your errors are pretty small now. After you've collected another good data set park again and copy your table. Paste special multiply by half % this time into the main VE table. This will hopefully keep you from over shooting your target which is 0 error. Once this is done repeat until your error is less then 3%. It's generally accepted in the tuning world that 3% error or less is as good as you are going to get due to other factors that can change.

Lastly copy your main VE table and paste it into the tune that you backed up at the very start of all this. That way you don't have to go through and change all the adder tables back.

That's it, hope this was helpful.
    http://www.infinite-garage.com/
    C6 Vette LS3 powered. With added excellence! 618 RWHP Pfadt coil overs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt bushing/bearing kit, Z diff with 3.90s, small nitrous shot
    Cobalt SS SC 268 Fwhp
    2002 Camaro SS forged, sprayed, and stripped 702 RWHP. You are sorely missed.
    Hey,asshole.How dare you put me down for owning a cobalt.I see that you own one too.You are a fucking hypocrit.
    bradhohio

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IMADreamer For This Useful Post:

L61Turbo (04-18-2011)

3. Top | #2
    Senior Citizen Member
    Last Online
    02-21-2017 @ 11:16 AM
    Thanks
    I'm sure this will be helpful to people who know how to use hptuners . for me im still tryin to learn and anything helps

4. Top | #3
    Authorized Vendor
    Last Online
    04-26-2016 @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: slowcavld9 PSN ID: mdz24cavalier
    Well seem to cover the basics well. This doesn't apply to J-bodies though. Since they are missing almost all tables you listed. Just wanted to throw that out there before someone asks.

5. Top | #4
    Like Father, Like Son
    Last Online
    12-18-2012 @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AdamNJHK
    You've just been stuck!

6. Top | #5
    6 liters of fury
    Last Online
    08-29-2013 @ 10:32 PM
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: EXOR IMADreamer PSN ID: I don't want my credit info stolen Wii Code: WEEEEEEEE
    Well seem to cover the basics well. This doesn't apply to J-bodies though. Since they are missing almost all tables you listed. Just wanted to throw that out there before someone asks.
    -MD- Enforcer Quoted Post
    I had a feeling they wouldn't, but wasn't sure. That sucks. Maybe a J-body guy can come up with something for them. We definitely need more tuning info here.
    http://www.infinite-garage.com/
    C6 Vette LS3 powered. With added excellence! 618 RWHP Pfadt coil overs, Pfadt sway bars, Pfadt bushing/bearing kit, Z diff with 3.90s, small nitrous shot
    Cobalt SS SC 268 Fwhp
    2002 Camaro SS forged, sprayed, and stripped 702 RWHP. You are sorely missed.
    Hey,asshole.How dare you put me down for owning a cobalt.I see that you own one too.You are a fucking hypocrit.
    bradhohio

7. Top | #6
    Authorized Vendor
    Last Online
    04-26-2016 @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: slowcavld9 PSN ID: mdz24cavalier
    I have been holding off, because Ryan at PNP Tuning has been working on a killer how to. The J-body PCM is missing / doesn't have a million setting compared to the deltas.

8. Top | #7
    EF Premium Member
    Last Online
    03-01-2015 @ 02:50 AM
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CrazyFoo328
    very nice! i feel like i learned something and i dont even have a delta lol