Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2.2 Ecotec burning oil, help with isolation

1. Top | #1
    Forum Participator
    Last Online
    06-04-2011 @ 09:26 PM
    Thanks

[Solved]2.2 Ecotec burning oil, help with isolation [pics]

Before I corrected the PCV system (which was putting oil into the intake through the breather) I thought blue smoke in my exhaust was coming in through the air intake. After I cleared out the port in the intake manifold itself, the problem was corrected, but I am still burning oil during quick acceleration. I never see smoke unless I am flooring it. I'm going to autozone tomorrow to get a cylinder pressure leak test kit, but I've found more information I'm not sure is helpful or not in diagnosing my problem.
    http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219091
    A GM bulletin states if my valve cover doesn't have "heat stakes" I should replace the valve cover with a new one. I've checked my valve cover, while I have the larger indentations the holes with the arrows pointing to them are sitting in, I don't have the actual heat stakes.

Does anyone know about these things, and whether they can be causing my problem? And does anyone have any other tests I could do to find out where this oil is coming from?

Blue Smoke and Oil Consumption On
    2004-2005 GM 2.2L Ecotec VIN D & F Engines
    The AERA Technical Committee offers the following information regarding blue smoke or oil consumption for 2004-2005 GM 2.2L Ecotec VIN D & F engines. Some drivers have commented on excessive oil consumption or blue smoke on acceleration. Reports have been made of a quart of more of oil loss within 2000 (3200 km) span.
    The cause of these conditions may be an incorrect sizing of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) orifice and/or misalignment of the oil baffle in the cam cover. If one of these conditions exists, higher than desired amounts of oil may enter into the combustion chambers.
    To determine if these conditions are the possible cause of oil consumption or blue smoke during acceleration inspection of the cam cover and intake manifold is necessary.
    Camshaft Cover
    • Remove the camshaft cover and inspect it for the heat stake marks shown at the arrow locations in Figure 1.
    • Important Note: The oil fill tube Part #12589431 must be replaced along with the camshaft cover Part #24426069 for the following models: 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac Pursuit and Saturn ION.
    • Figure 1.
    • For all other models, if the heat stake marks are not present, replace the camshaft cover with a new one Part #24426069.
    • If the heat stake marks are present, re-install the cam cover with a new gasket Part #12584084 using the appropriate SI installation procedures.

Intake Manifold
    Remove the intake manifold.
    • Obtain a 5/64" (2.0mm) drill bit and attempt to insert the chuck end into the PCV orifice opening shown by the arrow in Figure 2. The orifice is slightly below the casting surface.
    • If the drill bit chuck end can be inserted into the opening, replacement of the intake manifold Part #12587202 is necessary.
    • If the chuck end of the drill bit cannot be inserted, install new intake manifold gaskets Part # 24455112 (4 required) and re-install the manifold using the appropriate SI procedures.
    Figure 2.
    Parts Listing in Diagram Tab
    GM's Bulletin Notice

SOLVED:
    It ended up being my oil control rings, which were gunked up with carbon deposits from the previous driver. Read the thread for pics etc.
    You can use these troubleshooting steps:

1. I had blue smoke out my exhaust when I accelerated hard, and more when the car was shifting while accelerating hard.
    2. No smoke on startup.
    3. Putting a piece of paper up to the tail pipe, and pressing on the accelerator I found fuel/oil coming out onto the paper.

Run a compression test and a leakdown test. You can have bad oil control rings but still have good compression.
    Last edited by mlapaglia; 05-07-2011 at 11:23 PM.

2. Top | #2
    Forum Participator
    Last Online
    Thanks
    A quick update. I removed my manifold today and took some pictures. It appears that the inner orifice is missing in some places, making it unable to fit a 5/64 bit drive in, but still a bigger space than if it were a complete ring, if that makes sense..

The inside of the air intake, which I had cleaned out 2 weeks ago, is completely covered in oil. When I took the intake off, the gaskets had a lot of oil on them and inside where the gasket would normally seal. Oil was on head of the engine where the gaskets came off.

3. Top | #3
    Last Online
    04-03-2011 @ 09:45 PM
    Thanks
    So, do you think it's just the fact that it doesn't have the heat stakes?
    -2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE Coupe

4. Top | #4
    Forum Participator
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I thought that was it, but it's not. I replaced both the valve cover and the intake manifold, the problem is still present. I drove to from Indianapolis to Dayton to Detroit and back, had only 2.5 quarts of oil left after I started at 5. I did a compression test today, I got 175-180 lb/in squared readings on all of the combustion chambers, which leads me to think the valve guides are worn.. But how can I leak oil that fast and not see any coming out the exhaust?

5. Top | #5
    Super Moderator
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks
    How do your plugs look? 02GrandAm had a couple that were nearly fouled if I recall correctly.

Normally if it has something to do with the valve seals/guides the smoke will be more prevalent upon startup due to oil puddling on the back of the valves.

I'm interested to see what the cause of this is because it's sort of an odd occurance and nobody has torn a motor down to figure it out that I know of.

Nothing is difficult; some things just take more time.
    TAKE TO EXTREMES AND DOMINATE!

6. Top | #6
    Senior Citizen Member
    Last Online
    07-10-2014 @ 07:33 PM
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: AbnormalSpring PSN ID: GODzEvilGhost
    I worked on a fiero once that leaked oil real bad and had compression upon taking the motor apart we found that the only reason it was reading enough compression is due to the amount of oil it had in the cylenders.
    RDFabs CAI, Tsudo 4,2,1 Header, 2.25 Exhaust, LZM upper and lower solid mounts, TTR Poly trans mounts, Black Cat Customs gauge cluster. Hahn Stage 2 kit to be purched soon.

7. Top | #7
    Forum Participator
    Last Online
    Thanks
    The plugs look great. When I bought the car used it had 150k miles on it. The spark plugs were in horrible shape, misfires etc, because they had never been replaced. They did NOT have oil or any signs of oil on them. After I replaced them it ran and still runs great. When I did the compression test today the spark plugs looked fine also.
    The _only_ time I get smoke out the exhaust is when I WOT from a dead stop. I'll get some smoke right at the beginning, and when it shifts into second. Other than that I _never_ see smoke out the back, which is why I'm stumped.. I've never gotten smoke on startup that I'm aware of.
    I'm looking into a local machine shop that does engine re-work to see if they have any ideas and to get a price estimate on messing with the head.

8. Top | #8
    Last Online
    04-03-2011 @ 09:45 PM
    Thanks
    Around about how much oil are you burning? It could be similar to mine, in the fact that it began to burn a small amount of oil with minimal signs out the exhaust (Over 4K RPM) and just gets worse over time (over 3K RPM, then over 2.5K, then over 2K, ect) and consumes more oil. I started out with a quart per tank of gas (~500KM) and right now I'm at a gallon per tank. I'm still looking for a motor to swap in, and won't be able to perform a tear-down until then to actually see what the hell is causing it.
    -2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE Coupe

9. Top | #9
    Forum Participator
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm burning around 2 quarts every 3 tanks of gas I think. I talked to a machine shop owner my friend (a collector/restorer of old mowers, military vehicles, etc) uses, he said 90% of the time doing work to the head will cause more problems than it'll solve in an engine with over 100,000 miles on it. I'm not too sure how much worse the problem can get compared to what I have now though.

10. Top | #10
    Forum Participator
    Last Online
    09-02-2011 @ 11:17 AM
    Thanks
    I bet it's your PCV did you replace that with the manifold? How is your PCV even set up? Because when you said the only time you got a lot of oil was at full throttle from a dead stop that threw a flag to me. At the instant you went WOT there was a massive amount of vacuum in your intake manifold and the engine was pulling air from anywhere it could get it, and a place to get it could in this case be your crankcase which contains oil.

11. Top | #11
    Forum Participator
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I replaced the valve cover and the intake manifold, both ends of the PCV system.

12. Top | #12
    Forum Participator
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Alright back again. Still burning oil. Can I get suggestions on replacing the head? I was considering taking it to a shop to have the valve guides redone, but there is a shop on eBay selling a re-manufactured head with cams and everything for $375 shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-CH...Q5fAccessories

EDIT: Head and new head gasket purchased, I'll be taking the head off this weekend. Any suggestions on other parts to replace while I have the head off?
    Last edited by mlapaglia; 04-11-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast