Thread: EVAP canister purge solenoid valve question

1. Top | #1
    Senior Citizen Member
    Last Online
    10-29-2014 @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks

EVAP canister purge solenoid valve question

I have noticed that mine has been (or think it is this item) ticking (sounds electrical not mechanical like a belt driven noise) very loudly lately and wonder if this is a normal action for it or if it means that there is something wrong with it and needs to be replaced. I did not put my bare hand on there as I did not want to get shocked as I have been shocked by a poorly insulated plug wire once and that hurt like a S.O.B. lol. It remains proportional to RPM level and does not stop. It could easily be something underneath it but just wanted to through this out there for some ideas. Thanks in advance for anuy information.

2. Top | #2
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:13 AM
    Thanks
    You sure it's not the PS pump?
    It's not going to shock you. There is very little voltage going to that thing. I started my car yesterday and heard only one click(from the purge valve) after it had been running for a little. If it's doing it all the time something is up. I'm just not sure and don't want to tell you to get a new one and have it be something else.
    More humans=more problems
    Don't worry nothing will be done until it's too late, there is money to be made.
    Maximum profit and overpopulation will ruin all the major economies.

3. Top | #3
    Senior Citizen Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    i have this thing in my engine, im about 90% sure its useless, i want it gone.
    i have circled the problem

i really just want to know what it is and what its purpose is and what is gonna happen when i start ripping things apart? it hasnt been plugged in to the intake manifold since my car was boosted and i have the code removed.
    CrazyFoo328 Quoted Post

I am going to d/c it and see if it goes away and I know I will get a code but I will just clear it after testing It seems crazyfoo has already posted the pic for me in another post wondering if it is even of use. well all I can say is that my MPG's have been cut in half since I had the exhaust put in so I am thinking that there is something wrong in the system as increasing the piping that much on the back end should not affect things that much. No codes have come up recently though since I have had it installed and any that have come on have gone away on their own I'll let you know if the d/c makes the knock go away.

4. Top | #4
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:13 AM
    Thanks
    Ok, I'll be watching.
    More humans=more problems
    Don't worry nothing will be done until it's too late, there is money to be made.
    Maximum profit and overpopulation will ruin all the major economies.

5. Top | #5
    Senior Citizen Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    So it was d/c before start up and reconnected about 2 mins after and still no ticking coming from it so not so sure at this time. According to info on this device " it opens only when directed to do so by the PCM which uses the availability of intake manifold vacuum and data from various other sensor inputs to determine when and how long to open the valve. The interval of time during which the purge valve is known as duty cycle". Now if memory serves correct, duty cycle only happens at certain RPM ranges( I could be wrong on that) but from the sound of the ticking it was staying on durin idle all the way up to high revs, as far as I could tell due to exhaust being pretty loud. I am slowly learning about EFI engines so as long as the car makes it to spring I will just let it limp along until then and check for problems then.

6. Top | #6
    Crazy Moderator
    Last Online
    12-08-2014 @ 06:31 PM
    Thanks
    the purge valves sound shouldn't change with the RPM, I'm assuming your reving it up by the TB and listening.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/Cinpro/jokercopy2.jpg

It's not what you buy,it's what you build!

7. Top | #7
    Senior Citizen Member
    Last Online
    Thanks
    well it was revved up and the ticking increased and I was listening all around the purge valve and even held it adding pressure sometimes and it sounded like it lessened some in the ticking sense (just a guess though) but I have been unable to recreate the sound since last night so I am just going to monitor it and investigate if it happens again. I know it was not coming from the TB as I checked there and it had no abnormal sounds were coming from there. I drove it normal and very hard and the same result no ticking so for now I will not worry about it. Just had an inkling that the loss of MPG's was part of this as I am sure there is something wrong and this could have been another sign but will have to wait until it warms up. I used to get over 500 km's per tank now I am lucky if I can get 300 km's and that is driving nice otherwise its about 250 km's. I will research more on here and net for answers and you guys have been very helpful so thanks to you all.

8. Top | #8
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    06-22-2011 @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks
    i got the same noise coming out of it to but it doesnt seem to have an affect on anything that i could notice, it does kinda get annoying sometimes but wutever lol i get good gas mileage around 70-80miles to a quarter tank