Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: misfire troubles post here (Resolved Misfire Issues Only)

1. Top | #13
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    12-11-2009 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    Car wouldn't start at 114,000 miles. Engine started after I charged the battery but was running rough with CEL blinking. Pulled code P0300 - Two bad spark plugs. Replaced spark plugs. Pulled same code P0300 but w/ different description: Random multiple misfire detected.

Took vehicle to firestone and tech found fuel injectors 2 & 3 stuck open ($95.00 w/ tax for diagnosis). Replaced all four injectors ($448.59 w/ tax - parts only). CEL still was blinking w/ P0300 code. Replaced Coil Pack & ICM w/ used junk yard part ($24.00) and that resolved the problem.

CEL came on after a day of driving. From reading this forum I knew it was the CAT. Had it replaced for $259.00 w/ tax. People who replaced the CAT told me computer had another problem - System 1 Bank 1 too lean. I read this could be fixed by cleaning the Mass Airflow Sensor. Anyone else know about this?

All the info here was very helpful to me. Thank you to everyone who has posted here

2. Top | #14
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cogent Design
    Car wouldn't start at 114,000 miles. Engine started after I charged the battery but was running rough with CEL blinking. Pulled code P0300 - Two bad spark plugs. Replaced spark plugs. Pulled same code P0300 but w/ different description: Random multiple misfire detected.

Took vehicle to firestone and tech found fuel injectors 2 & 3 stuck open ($95.00 w/ tax for diagnosis). Replaced all four injectors ($448.59 w/ tax - parts only). CEL still was blinking w/ P0300 code. Replaced Coil Pack & ICM w/ used junk yard part ($24.00) and that resolved the problem.

CEL came on after a day of driving. From reading this forum I knew it was the CAT. Had it replaced for $259.00 w/ tax. People who replaced the CAT told me computer had another problem - System 1 Bank 1 too lean. I read this could be fixed by cleaning the Mass Airflow Sensor. Anyone else know about this?

All the info here was very helpful to me. Thank you to everyone who has posted here
    jhodge Quoted Post
    You paid WAY TOO MUCH for that stuff. Also, we don't have a Mass Airflow Sensor.

3. Top | #15
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    12-11-2009 @ 07:20 PM
    Thanks
    You paid WAY TOO MUCH for that stuff. Also, we don't have a Mass Airflow Sensor.
    Admiral Jedi Quoted Post
    Thanks for the Mass Airflow Sensor tip. I need to read the Haynes manual more.

I understand the diagnosis fee was too much. I'm a total car n00b. I needed the injectors ASAP (my only car) and NAPA was the only one who carried them in stock. If you don't mind elaborating, should I have just replaced the bad injectors or could they have been repaired? Is there a cheaper place I could have gotten them from?

The CAT was replaced by a shop referred by a lot of people. It took less than 30 minutes to replace.

Any n00b advice is appreciated. I'll try to stay around if I'm not banned

4. Top | #16
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    12-30-2009 @ 12:34 AM
    Thanks

Po300

I got the code PO300 misfire detected,my car run rough on idle no power on drive, smell gas and the ecxaust pipe after my catalik come red like fire and i think there gas going in to my oil. I tought it was my catalik who was done i cut it and put a straight pipe i chek the catalik when we cut it and the catalik was done, the guy said the misfire probleme burn my catalik ..Thanks for help(Sorry for my english not to good!! )

5. Top | #17
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    02-05-2010 @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    2005 Chevy Cobal 2.2L EcoTech Sedan 61,000 miles (Silver)- You know the car
    Car ran perfect going to work in the morning. Started car to go out to lunch. Car took 10 seconds of turning over before it started. Ran really rough. I gave it gas instinctively trying to "clean" the engine out. Shortly, a blinking check engine light came on. Drove home and had NO power. It felt as though I was running on two cylinders. Engine was loud and ran really rough. Driving home, the engine temp never got hot i.e. 185F. The car smelled like it was running rich. I had the codes scanned at Autozone. They were P0300 (random multi cylinder engine misfire) and another code stating the engine temp was too low. After doing research, I decided to replace the ICM. One guy at Autozone and two guys at Napa all talked me out of it. They said the car wouldn't start if it was the ICM. Boy were they wrong. So I shelled out $140 at Napa and installed the coil pack instead. I also replaced the plugs at this time. This didn't help. The next day I purchased the ICM. I had to practically pull the ICM out of the Napa guys hands because he said it wasn't the ICM. I installed the ICM and the car runs perfect.

INSTALL A NEW ICM!!!!!!!!. I paid $90 and the installation takes 5 minutes. If a new ICM doesn't do it, then as an engineer, I would recommend to then install a new coil pack. The boys at the auto parts store will try to sell you the coil pack, new plug boots, etc. Don't listen to them. Install the ICM!!!!!

6. Top | #18
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    11-27-2011 @ 03:27 PM
    Thanks
    First time poster. Have a 05 Cav. 2.2 ecotec stock. Was getting intermittent trouble. A p0303 code everytime. Had a mechanic check it out. He changed the Cyl. 3 fuel inj. Same problem. Changed the coil pack and icm. Ran ok for about a week then another 303 code. We've had a damp snowy winter so it was I didnt tie that in with the problem. Next came a computer changeout. Ran ok for another week than another check engine light and another 303 code during a rain/snow storm. Finally started to put it together. All the parts except for the fuel inj. were used and mainly changed for troubleshooting reasons. After another trip to the mechanic we both inspected the car and found moisture on the computer and the two wiring plugs. Must be blowing in through the grill and drafting towards the back firewall. After taking the wiring plugs off the computer and cleaning the connections we wrapped the plugs with a waterproof sealant. Car has been running normal again despite the crummy weather. I know it sounds kinda crazy. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

7. Top | #19
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    03-14-2014 @ 03:11 PM
    Thanks

Misfiring in deep south texas....

I have had a horrible experience with a 97 Stratus where I purchased everything from a crank shaft position sensor to a brand new computer, not to mention a new fuel pump. So right now I am hesitant to purchase anything for my 2.2 ecotech which is misfiring. I just bought a new ICM but really want to return it because of a really really stupid reason that I am embarrassed to mention. but anyway.. I still havn't installed the new ICM because I'm still at work, I'll be trying it out in the morning. I just don't want to install it because then I won't be able to return it... but anyway, the deal is this:

The car starts, if cold it starts with a high Idle like normal which makes me rule out low fuel pressure. Besides, it smells like raw gasoline while the engine is running. There are no vaccum leaks and i just installed brand new spark plugs because the old ones were charred. No where in the Haynes book or online does it tell you how to check the coil pack or the ICM and none of the Auto parts do it either... One or two cylinders is/are not firing because when the car is put into gear, it lags as if its going to turn off but doesn't. So, the golden question, How do I determine that the ICM or the Coil Pack is to blame? If I do the spark test to find out which output(s) is/are not firing, will that automatically put the blame on the Coil Pack or can it still be possible that the ICM is the one with the issue? If I shat money, I would go buy both the Coil Pack and ICM and maybe throw in a brand new Fuel Pump and injectors just to nip whatever else in the bud but dernitt, I don't have that luxury...and to make things worst, its the only vehicle that my wife and I have. If anyone can help me, I will greatly be in your debt.

***UPDATE***
    So after looking closer at all the previous postings, I noticed that what scottk went through with his Cobalt was exactly the same thing I was experiencing... So, I was excited to have already purchased the ICM and went to go try it on and BINGO!!!! It sputtered for a bit choking on the exess gas in the chambers and what not but purred like it did when I first bought it... The spark plugs helped too... so thank you scottk... and everyone else, this site has been very helpful... I plan on getting lowering springs and some HP boosting accessories. Does anyone have any idea if a Cold Air Intake system can be set up on this engine? If so, which one? Also... what is the best exaust upgrade for it?
    Last edited by hzliiintx82; 02-20-2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Update....

8. Top | #20
    Forum Participator
    Last Online
    06-07-2012 @ 11:50 PM
    Thanks
    It's been a long time since I have been logged on in any ecotec/cavalier forums but I had to today. I had an issue with my car 2 days ago. I drove it perfectly fine in the rain just from here to there, taking the girlfriend to work and running some errands. I picked up my girlfriend from work and let my car sit about 6 hours later and had no issues at all. Apparently a day or so before the car stopped working out of no where when on a steep downhill turn around, but I figured that was because I had a little under a quarter tank of gas. Anyway, when my girl and I went to go grocery shopping, my car started very rough, and worried me. When I went to hit on the accelerator pedal, I realized something was very wrong, before the check engine MIL had came on. I filled up the car with some gas at the gas station around the block, and then came straight home. Yesterday, I had to buy a code reader, I was trying to save up for a Genisys but unfortunately with the move out to San Francisco from Cleveland, I ran out of money to do that. Anyway, I got a code P0300, and from the day before, I went on here to look up problems, found that the code meant a random misfire, and that the biggest issue was the Ignition Control Module. Thankfully today when I went to buy a new ICM, my car ran perfect again. Though, on a turn around on another steep part of the road, my car died again...so I'm not completely sure what that problem could be since I am almost on a full tank of gas. Oh, by the way, I have about 93,000 miles on the odometer, and never had issues like this before. The only upgrades I have is a header, cat-back exhaust, and a K&N intake. And I never had an issue of the car dying on any steep hills before a couple of days ago as well.

Update:

I forgot to add that the night my car did start acting up, which I believe was Saturday, I did a compression test, and determined that with all cylinders at about 210 psi, my engine was fine and that it was an electrical problem.

Update 2:

Well it's been a week, and I just throw a P0400 code, which is most likely my cat... damn, to bad because I don't have money for that, I might just spend my last grand on replace my exhaust engine-back, and probably wait until I get my income tax returns to get those motor mounts too. Man, after market parts are to expensive but so addicting.
    Last edited by cavpowerracer; 03-02-2010 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Update

9. Top | #21
    Administrator
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:34 PM
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: L61Turbo

random/multiple misfire aka po300

i have an 04 cavalier ecotec did a few mods intake, 4-2-1 header, and full custom exhaust no problem when did these mods just threw code po420 which is cat below threshold because my idiot self knocked the cat out forgetting about the 0/2 sensor today i redid the whole exhaust system new high flow cat and piping no resignator who cares but thaat fixed the po420 codes now im not sucking gas but still didnt fix the po300 code its driving me crazy anyway i have this buddy at autozone who hooked me up he let me buy a coil pack to see if that was the problem i put it on and ran it about 3 miles down the road after i erased the code i threw again i took it off put my old one back and returned it next thing we tried the icm same thing took it back still trowing codes i replaced the plugs but when i was pulling out the very left cylinder i think its 1 on the way out at the very end it was crossthreading i had to pull it out i tried to keep from crossing but wouldnt happen so when i put in the new plugs it was cross threading in but i got it all the way down could this be the reason im throwing po300 let me no thnx also the car runs fine nothing wrong starts fine never surges or boggs out drives like normal but i can tell a loss of horepower
    Last edited by L61Turbo; 02-26-2010 at 05:31 PM.

10. Top | #22
    Osirus of this S**t
    Last Online
    01-10-2014 @ 02:54 PM
    Thanks
    i just ignore the misfires lol... as long as she isnt knocking she can do w/e she wants

- Eagle rods - wiseco pistons - neutral balance shafts - hardened oil pump gears - cometic hg - supertech dual valve springs - allecotec ss valves - comp turbo cams - precision turbo - tial wg - 2.5'' exaust - cherry bomb - magnaflow muffler - hks bov - fmic - SPI intake mani - 75mm throttle body - lsd insert - spec stage 3 clutch - msd ignition - msd inline fuel pump - fmu - hptuned -

green4doorcav (2:00:50 AM): what size catch can do i neeD?
    benneb07 (2:00:54 AM): 4 gallon
    green4doorcav (2:01:05 AM): w t f lol

11. Top | #23
    EF Premium Member
    Last Online
    10-21-2013 @ 08:56 PM
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: boostedgman
    wow, alot of problems.
    ive never had any issues thank gawd
    new hydra j in the works
    oh skeets

12. Top | #24
    Administrator
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:34 PM
    Thanks
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: L61Turbo
    ya ya right i wish i didn't have issues lol but i mean its not really an issue any more just a light flashing on my dash i never under stood when u read a code and it throws twice like po300 and po300 pd after the second code but i can tell a loss in horsepower it doesn't pull like it used to

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast