Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: misfire troubles post here (Resolved Misfire Issues Only)

1. Top | #73
    Crazy Moderator
    Last Online
    04-29-2016 @ 10:03 PM
    Thanks
    these cars don't really like the Bosch plugs, AC Delco or NGK are the the better bets. bad plugs can kill your ICM, and as I said before go over your ground wires.
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/Cinpro/jokercopy2.jpg

It's not what you buy,it's what you build!

2. Top | #74
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    01-27-2013 @ 03:42 AM
    Thanks

Misfire Cylinder #1

Car is a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LS all stock except K&N air filter, 2.2l ecotec l61, automatic with 195000 fairly hard but always taken care of miles. I always use premium gas in all my vehicles and steer away from ethanol when at all possible. It all Started while sitting in stopped/slowed traffic one day, the car was missing on one cylinder. It would only happen at idle or if throttle wasn't being used very much above 1000 rpm no miss.

I Replaced plugs helped for 60 miles or so then back to same old game. I read on here plugs the plugs I bought are bad for icm so new ac delco plugs were next, it was better for 100 miles....I checked all grounds and cleaned all the connections, I also did the maf sensor, tb, and intake manifold, both the manifold and TB were very oily/carbon build up on all the gaskets, all the o-rings were good no vacuum leaks.

I did a Seafoam treatment seeing all the stuff in intake. Car is running better and more snappy but still missing on cylinder #1. Next was a compression test At 5500 feet above sea level got 165, 170, 170, 165, on 1 2 3 4. Seemed pretty good for that high and almost 200,000 miles on motor.

I swapped the fuel injectors around to see if it was an injector problem, I read that #1 injector gets clogged if anything makes it through fuel line cause no return line on these cars and #1 is end of the line. No help it was still missing Cylinder #1.

Original battery took a crap on me darn cold weather but it did last 6 years. This seemed to help some but still missing #1. [meanwhile got p0420 (catalyst system below efficency threshold) assumed it was from all unburnt gas going through exhaust.]

Inspection of exhaust system found Manifold had a pretty healthy crack in it and the upstream o2 had got hot enough to partially melted it. I brazed crack in exhaust manifold, and replaced all gaskets from motor back in exhaust, then soaked downpipe and cat in laundry detergent overnight to clean it since I had it all apart. I got bunch of small white stuff out of cat think it was gassed coolant from a bad head gasket a while back cat looked good not burnt or clogged. I got it all back together, car is much quitter seems to be running smoother but still missing on #1.

I decided to replace fuel filter cause thats never been done either and it was cheaper than buying a fuel pressure test set up. I was running low on funds at this time. Dirty gas came out of filter but wasnt clogged. No help still miss #1. I found a used coil pack and ICM on Ebay for 40 bucks. I put it on and car purrs like a kitten again. I did some swapping around and found out it was my coil pack. I would not have expected that cause #1 & #3 run off same coil and not once did I get a miss on any cylinder but #1.

Now I have a backup ICM for when mine goes bad cause from what I hear it will. Anyway hope this helps all you missfire guys. Get a code reader they help alot. I am still getting p0420 but looking at my downstream o2 readings on my scan tool it drops for no reason then comes back to life(lazy sensor) going to replace that and hope all the unburnt gas going through exhaust didnt ruin cat but dont think that is the case.
    Last edited by Cinpro; 01-28-2013 at 03:55 AM.

3. Top | #75
    Senior Citizen Member
    Last Online
    07-30-2016 @ 10:03 PM
    Thanks
    I got a odd one p0300.

Quite frustrating since I dont really feel any misfire.

First off its a 03 cav with a supercharger kit and running the GM reflash.

95% of the time I get he code within 5 mins of driving the car after its cold, and it only seems to come on when im driving at about 2700 rpm. Its always that rpm. I dont feel a stumble or anything it just sets a code.

Only things that changed around that time was I got a header installed a month or so prior.

Idles smooth, and pulls 21in of vacuum at idle.

4. Top | #76
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 09:15 AM
    Thanks

diagnosing the ICM and checking coils on a 2.2 Ecotec

Ive been reading a ton of these threads about poor running 2.2s. unfortunately i got here because my 2003 sunfire is having the same issue. upon scouring the interet for common 2.2 issues i came across this rather lengthy but very helpful video that show how to properly diagnose whether or not that the ICM is bad and to also see if the ohm resistance of the coils is within acceptable levels and detecting if they may be faulty as well. here is the link to the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PK6r3HbjkU

ive also found ni researchnig that after having these stumbling, stalling and sputtering issues that even after the main fix (ICM replacement in most) that because of this issue that the Cat will usually need to be replaced after depending on the depth and duration of the problem. hope this sheds a bit of light on any who would want to check a part before buying a new one and finding that it wasnt the issue.

5. Top | #77
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    11-03-2015 @ 04:05 PM
    Thanks

Intermittent Misfire P0303

I am getting an intermittent misfire P0303 on a 2004 Saturn Vue 2.2L. After clearing the code I could go days or 100s of miles without any code and then code returns. Same code all the time.

I have replaced all 4 plugs and same result.

I am frustrated with the design of the cassette type ignition coil pack because I can not switch the coils to isolate if it is the actual coil or ICM or not ignition related.

Because this is a waste spark system, cyl 2-3 are paired so if it is the coil shouldn't I also get a error code P0302 or P0300 if the ECM can not accurately pinpoint. Same with the ICM because the control signal is common for 2-3.

Because it is intermittent, I am thinking it could be a short to ground or open circuit somewhere but again because the 1-4 and 2-3 are paired why only P0303? How do you check for intermittent shorts or open circuit?

Anyone else run into this type of problem?

I hate to waste over $100 buying a new coil pack and ICM just to test it?

How likely is a compression failure or faulty fuel injector at #3 to be the cause? f those failed shouldn't the problem be constant and not intermittent?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

6. Top | #78
    Super Moderator
    Last Online
    10-06-2016 @ 01:52 AM
    Thanks
    Swap the injector to another cyl. and see what happens.

Nothing is difficult; some things just take more time.
    TAKE TO EXTREMES AND DOMINATE!

7. Top | #79
    Forum Newbie
    Last Online
    11-03-2015 @ 04:05 PM
    Thanks
    Swap the injector to another cyl. and see what happens.
    thewizard Quoted Post
    Did that swapped #3 and #4 still the same issue.

I did run a resistance check on the coil. The primaries are no resistance (full continuity). Not sure if this is a sign of internal short? Should there be .5 to 1 ohm resistance. I can't find any specs. But then why #3 problem and not #4?

The secondary side is 4 ohms.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567